Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Stock Fly

Windshield Reflector Question

Hi all. I was looking into getting a windshield reflector for my insulation. This is because I'm wanting to go as lightweight as possible, I would be using a 20 degree Fahrenheit mummy sleeping bag with it, and I would only plan to go on trips with 40 degrees or above nights. I heard from some people that if I were to use a windshield reflector as my pad, I would get a lot of condensation on my back, thus making me colder! I didn't like to hear that But, I think that problem might be able to be solved by using the pad on the outside of the hammock instead of the inside. Am I right? Also, what kind of system would you all recommend as a way of hanging it so that it gets as close to my body as possible?

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Above 40 is too warm to use the reflector in my experience and thus the condensation. The mid to low 30s and below is when I use one with a 2/3 UQ. As the temp drops into the teens and below, the UQ disappears and ccf takes over.

The lightest for me is a summerweight 2/3 uq which is just below the weight of the windshield reflector (by an ounce).

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux Asym
    Insulation
    Windshiedeflectors
    I use a windshield deflector--but sewed a piece of fleece on it. Laying on the fleece side I've not experienced condensation. My last trip out I tried a PLUQ and liked it too.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Stock Fly
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Above 40 is too warm to use the reflector in my experience and thus the condensation. The mid to low 30s and below is when I use one with a 2/3 UQ. As the temp drops into the teens and below, the UQ disappears and ccf takes over.

The lightest for me is a summerweight 2/3 uq which is just below the weight of the windshield reflector (by an ounce).
    So do you think that I could get by with just a reflector and no underquilt down to temps around 30? Also, what's a ccf? Sorry, I'm new with all the acronyms

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Stock Fly
    Quote Originally Posted by WVScouter View Post
    I use a windshield deflector--but sewed a piece of fleece on it. Laying on the fleece side I've not experienced condensation. My last trip out I tried a PLUQ and liked it too.
    Interesting idea.... I might have to try that out.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BushcraftHanger View Post
    So do you think that I could get by with just a reflector and no underquilt down to temps around 30? Also, what's a ccf? Sorry, I'm new with all the acronyms
    ccf=closed cell foam

I don't think it would be enough down to 30 by itself. By itself it doesn't provide much insulation. It is more of a vapor barrier first, then the reflective action (which may only be minimal, but I have noticed a difference when the not as shiny side was facing up). Not sure why the condensation issues disappear at the lower temps (when using it with other insulators). It just does for me. YMMV

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Stock Fly
    Ah thanks for clearing that up. Ok. I've actually heard of some people glueing a space blanket onto a ccf pad for added insulation. Maybe that will work.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I used the reflector on top of a blue foam pad into the low 30s, and felt a bit clammy on my back. Not sure if it was sweat from being too warm, wearing too many layers, or if it was some minimal amount of condensation. Looking back though, I think the reflector was probably extra.

This afternoon I fell fast asleep using just a blue pad and my mummy bag as a top quilt, temps were mid 40s with light breeze and I felt toasty. Usually I'm a cold sleeper, so maybe you should do some experiments with just the blue pad and see how it goes. The reflector might not be right for you unless you get down into some deeper cold, but you won't know until you try it out in the backyard, where it's safe.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I used 1 at a high school football game. Aluminum seats,, ice and snow on the
    Ground, I folded it in 1/4 and sat on it. I felt no cold at all. Small light, great insulater. I'm going to make a double layer hammock and slide it in to test.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I use underquilts, but I sometimes took a piece of windshield reflector for extra warmth when pushing my 40° UQ. Last time I used it the low was probably 30°. I was using my 20° synthetic sleeping bag - there was a ton of condensation when I woke up at 4AM. That's too bad because these things weigh nothing and take up little space in the pack against your back.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast