Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images

WB Ridgerunner question

Are most folk using quilts or pads with their Ridgerunners? Seems like the one hammock you might could get by with just a pad, like an inflatable? Thanks! Scott

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    For me the RR is so comfortable as is I can't see using a pad....though I have heard of some folks that rave about a pad with it. I guess when I switched over to hammocks a pad just lost all appeal and I don't find them comfortable at all anymore. In a hammock they just feel weird to me and feel like they change the way the hammock feels.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Insulated pad works great but for very cold weather I use a pad and uq combined. For me the pad makes it much more comfortable.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I've been looking for an UQ that will work with my WBRR but the funds just aren't available right now. I made a pair of snugpak jungle blanket UQs for the kids hammocks and I'm hoping to adapt one of them to work for mild weather.

I've been using a variety of pads in the mean time. I have a wide polyester filled pad from Wiggys that works great but it's heavy and bulky. My last hike I used an old thermarest ultralite down into the low 50s and was toasty warm. I've used several different closed cell foam pads and they've all worked fine too. I haven't had any condensation issues but I think most trips were warm enough to keep my back well above the dew point. Most anything crammed into that sleeve seems to work OK. A folded fleece blanket was warm in the low 60s and very comfortable.

I think inflatable pads are kind of overkill. You don't need the padding since you're in a hammock. Some people seem to like that the bigger pads sort of stretch everything out so you get a bit flatter lay and maybe prevents some shoulder squeeze. I haven't really found this to be the case.

My $.02

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I mostly use an UQ but sometimes an inflatable pad. The lay is a little better with the pad but the warmth is better with the UQ. I like an inflatable better than using ccf.
    I would probably use the inflatable more often but mine is large and rather heavy and a little bit of a nuisance to get packed up.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 UQ
    My thermarest basecamp pad fits well in my RR DIY clone, fully or partially inflated. With an R5 rating I can get down to the 20s (probably better). It is wider than most pads, so it stays in place once you are on it. It makes my RR a touch more tippy, but certainly bearable for me.

I also have an UQ that "evolved" from being a too short / too narrow UQ for my gathered end hammock, to a 36" wide UQ that is dedicated to the bridge.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I use a pad sometimes, I started with a sheepskin under me when we first started hammocking. Then I used my thermarest pad, thought that was great, even while chasing it around all night. Then switched to the Hennessy Super Shelter, really liked it.

Today, what I use for under insulation depends on the situation. I travel with my hammock especially when moving from Fort Nelson down to Oregon, I never know what I might run into weather wise, I carry my insulated pad and my 0 UQ, if things are bad I use them together.

I find with pads condensation tends to be a problem in normal mild weather. However, in my opinion, learning to be a Hanger involves a lot of experimentation, to find what suits your personal needs. We are all a bit different, so I suggest you not follow the pack, play with your ideas and use what works best for you, lead the way not follow.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Footer GE
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies or buckle
    I used a Klymit Luxe Insulated for a bit with the Ridgerunner. Unbelievably comfortable. But, I had frequent condensation issues, so started looking at quilt options.

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    I almost took a swing at your Ridgerunner, bwhnMT! Just not time yet-glad you got it sold.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The Terminator uses a DIY FL UQ with her RR
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast