Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

baffle configuration.

i am about to make my second UQ,this one will be goose down filled,but what i was hoping to find out is whether horizontal or vertical baffles are best,if in fact there any differences at all,all suggestions and or comments would help.

Hammock
    HH Exp Deluxe / DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Baffles that go parallel with the ridge line is the way most of them go. The baffles can follow the length better than the width. You could probably go perpendicular to the ridge line, but the fabric would have to bunch up more on the inside part of your UQ.

good luck on the project

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Another vote for parallel to the ridgeline. There's a lot less curvature involved in that direction so the down won't be a apt to migrate to the center of the quilt. If the baffles run cross-wise, they will form a "U" shape, making it harder to keep the down from shifting.
    Last edited by MAD777; 11-07-2012 at 14:15.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

some good points.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    On my DIY I will be going parallel. I feel that this will fit my needs and my skills!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

need help seeing U shape

I'm not seeing how down in a 50+" tube with the lengthwise gradient is more stable than down in a 35-45" inch tube with the more extreme crosswise gradient. Yes, the down could shift towards the middle, but does it?
    Would more fill resist that shifting? Shifting would put more insulation, right where you want it.

My assumption was lengthwise was faster/cheaper to build. Why are there no quilts/sleeping bags using lengthwise baffles? Same down, same fabric, same users, but a different configuration?

I've had bags where the down shifted when side sleeping, but that was a fill problem, not a design problem.

Crosswise baffles on an UQ would make it tougher for the convection currents.
    Last edited by heyyou; 11-07-2012 at 16:39. Reason: speling, spelling, spellin, words is hard

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Hi Fish

The common wisdom is longitudinal, not lateral. Its possible to push the down around in the quilt like this, sewing is easier too. Also, with lateral baffles I'd want to use c-shaped baffles that I don't believe are necessary on a longitudinal construction.

Being able to move the down is a bonus. One night, I may be wearing a thicker hat or different combinations of top insulation, or I might have cold feet. The down can be moved around a bit to make it warmer at the ends or the middle.

'seams' theres more to this than meets the eye!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Jacks make there quilts with lateral baffles and I've yet to hear any bad things about their quilts.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
    I'm not seeing how down in a 50+" tube with the lengthwise gradient is more stable than down in a 35-45" inch tube with the more extreme crosswise gradient. Yes, the down could shift towards the middle, but does it?
    Would more fill resist that shifting? Shifting would put more insulation, right where you want it.

My assumption was lengthwise was faster/cheaper to build. Why are there no quilts/sleeping bags using lengthwise baffles? Same down, same fabric, same users, but a different configuration?

The lengthwise is much easier and faster to build. Top quilts are the opposite - takes twice as long to make as there are more (usually) baffles and your working with smaller amounts of materials.

I recently had the down shift to the center in my UQ - it took a full month for it to happen - I kept wondering why my shoulders and legs were cold. My hammock stays up 24/7 as it's my "bed". I took the UQ and shook everything back into place. Took a whole 30 seconds to do. I'm warm again.

With the proper amounts of down in each baffle the shifting problem is minimal. If you overstuff too much, then you have problems as the down really does have mass and will gravitate to the lowest spot after awhile. This is true for both vertical and horizontal baffles.

So I built my UQ with horizontal baffles and the TQ with vertical baffles.
    Last edited by Lost_Biker; 11-08-2012 at 06:51. Reason: the usual

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast