Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    I was right it was my second post. Warned ya.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    whoopies n' bling
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout67 View Post
    And then there is a situation like mine where I've been a member for over a year and i think this is my second post. Someone posted a wtb that i think i could have met well, but the post was deleted (i think neither the op or myself were at 50). I understand rules, It is a privately run forum, the community within the forum can install whatever boundaries it wishes.

What i find amusing is that most will look at post count or lack thereof, and assign credibility or intellect with the number. Funny, i do so myself.

This is the first of 48 posts to follow shortly thereafter, i will try to be of value.
    I will most certainly be satirical.
    I don't think post count determines intelligence or credibility, rather, post quality gives you some idea of who you are dealing with. By requiring 50 posts, the mods give the rest of us a chance to read through them and assess your internet presence, which hopefully translates to your real character.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by cpc1027 View Post
    I don't think post count determines intelligence or credibility, rather, post quality gives you some idea of who you are dealing with. By requiring 50 posts, the mods give the rest of us a chance to read through them and assess your internet presence, which hopefully translates to your real character.
    I like to above reply. What I look at: how long has someone been a member.
    How many posts have they made? Then I look at their statistics. The statistics and prior posts are VERY revealing. It took me two unpleasant purchases to learn now to shop on this site. Now I know how to shop and be pleased with the result. Looking around you can follow the trail of some transactions, member 1 sells to member2 then the gear might move on to a third member. I found on hammock that was being offered as brand new, never even opened. I did my little search, by gosh I found where it had be sold to the current owner, and there was a photo of the hammock, hanging with current owner in it. New, never used hammock. Nope been through at least 3 HF members. As with everything, spend your money with someone you can trust, do your research first. Then this site is great.

Hammock
    DH 11' Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images
    post count has nothing to do with creditability. this is the intranet after all. by my avatar you would think I grew up a deliquent.......................

oh nevermind
    ~Adventure Before Dementia~

I'm having similar posting issues. I find that if I use my google-foo almost all my questions are answered without any posts needed. So reaching 50 posts will take me a long time, however, I am in no hurry to get to 50. Understand the mods are trying to avoid spammers and bots, the 50 post limit makes life better for everyone.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    Sorry if I offended you catavarie but I think you may have misinterpreted what I was trying to say what you said was more or less what I was trying to say. Of course, it would be impossible for the mods to go through all of that so that anyone who wants to can sell their stuff and why should they, this is a forum not a 2nd hand retailer! I was just meaning what everyone else has said, that it IS the best way possible but also that I could see why some folks may be frustrated, because if you search properly you can almost always find what you are looking for and as someone who is learning it can be difficult to add anything valuable to a discussion without bloating the threads with rubbish! Sorry again for the misunderstanding!
    No offense taken. I just wished to clear things up for any who might be confused on the subject as I know of forums where things such as credit/background checks are performed before they allow the selling of any merchandise to occur.
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout67 View Post
    And then there is a situation like mine where I've been a member for over a year and i think this is my second post. Someone posted a wtb that i think i could have met well, but the post was deleted (i think neither the op or myself were at 50). I understand rules, It is a privately run forum, the community within the forum can install whatever boundaries it wishes.

What i find amusing is that most will look at post count or lack thereof, and assign credibility or intellect with the number. Funny, i do so myself.

This is the first of 48 posts to follow shortly thereafter, i will try to be of value.
    I will most certainly be satirical.
    I don't look at post count so much as I look at who it is that is posting. If I recognize the name from discussions I've either had with them or read of theirs then I feel as if I know them just a little bit more than someone who hasn't made any post that I can recall. Gives them just that little bit of an edge for my money when I'm looking to buy something.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Um...WOW!

I had no idea I was opening up such a can of whoopsie slings

Great discussion and I really appreciate several points of view. I especially appreciate the acknowledgement of the treatment by some (negative that is) and the pragmatism of others as to why the rules are in place.

As I mentioned, I had to get to posting and I am doing my best to avoid the fluff and look for people who are asking questions where my newish experience might be helpful.

On a more philosophic (or would that be sophical?) note I really enjoyed the posts on whether or not 50 posts allows one to pass judgement on another's character. I think just making it to this forum and signing up says that one is interested in the activity and has already passed a bit of a hurdle. Someone who was only in the business of taking advantage of others probably wound not bother, and my guess is they would not have any high quality gear to sell either.

Finally, I appreciate the opportunity this thread has given me to put two more notches in my belt (as far as posting goes).

Hope there are no hard feelings and I sincerely hope this thread has caused people to pause and reflect prior to passing judgement on others intent.

Now shut down the screen and get outside. me, I'm off to a kid's swim meet. Ahhh, the tradeoff's of parenthood. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Well, the post limit thing makes sense to me. I didn't even notice it was there the first time I posted something for sale, or even for quite a while afterward, when suddenly this year, there's been about half a dozen threads either questioning it or trying to get it changed. In all of them, I can't help but think the original post comes off as a bit petulant.

50 posts isn't really that hard to get to, and it's quite possible to show your character in what you post. You say your search skills let you get all your questions answered, so you don't need to open an "I'm a newbie -- help!" thread? Okay, how about:

An introductory thread, telling us a bit aout yourself and how you got into hammocking?

A thread about the evolution of your hammocking experience?

A note thanking someone whose advice you took and how it helped you?

A review on some hammock-related gear?

Your thoughts on some of the reviews, videos, and illustrations provided by our other members?

Participation in the planning thread for a group hang in your area?

Saying hello to some of the other people joining the forum so they feel welcome?

Vote in a poll and say why you voted the way you did?

How about a trip report?

Pictures of your setup?

An idea you had and tried, regardless of whether it's been discussed on here before? We've had some great innovations added to the hammock community because of threads like this -- whoopie slings, triangle thingies, dutch clips, etc.

And best of all, realizing that even if you have all your questions answered, there's still plenty of people asking questions every day. Go use some of that search skill and help another member out. Plus, even limited knowledge is helpful to people who have less. Being closer to the beginner level of skill, you might remember a mindset that more experienced hangers have forgotten, and can approach the problem from a different angle.

Yes, there are many forms of meaningful posts you can make in this forum and easily hit 50. In the process, you become a known presence and an actual part of the community, rather tan just someone who watches from outside, gets a general feel for the "town," then rolls into town to make a sale. You might be a great person to everyone in your real life, but online, you're anonymous. 50 posts of one-liners to arbitrarily hit a post count limit doesn't sound much better. You don't have to write a novel, but at least a paragraph can help people learn what kind of a person you are.
    "Can't we all just live in trees and hammocks?"
    -- Sam Gribley, My Side of the Mountain

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234