Thread: Top Insulation

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Question Top Insulation

I am hiking the Fires Creek Rim Trail this weekend near Hayesville, NC. The temperatures should be in the mid to upper 20s this weekend per forecast. I am set on a UQ with a 0* Phoenix but my top insulation will be either a 40* or 20* sleeping bag. In your opinion can I get away with the 40* sleeping bag? It makes me frustrated just thinking about wrestling my 20* synthetic bag in my Osprey 58 Exos not to mention the stuff sack.
    I may be lost but I am making great time.

“It was so cold that If the thermometer had been an inch longer, we'd have frozen to death.” ~ Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Widerness Logics
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I am going out in the coldest region of NC this weekend (Banner Elk, GF Mountain) and the lowest temp per forecast is 33. I think you will be fine down to that. I am using a blue pad with 40 deg bag and good clothing. ie good thermals and some fleece. I think you'll be good to go man. Have fun!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toadz View Post
    I am hiking the Fires Creek Rim Trail this weekend near Hayesville, NC. The temperatures should be in the mid to upper 20s this weekend per forecast. I am set on a UQ with a 0* Phoenix but my top insulation will be either a 40* or 20* sleeping bag. In your opinion can I get away with the 40* sleeping bag? It makes me frustrated just thinking about wrestling my 20* synthetic bag in my Osprey 58 Exos not to mention the stuff sack.
    I think all (or most) of your answers to this will be something along the lines of "everyone is different so you will need to test it out yourself"

I don't know if the temps where you will be tonight will be ballpark but the best thing you can do is try it in your back yard tonight with the 40 and see how that feels. If it isn't warm enough then definitely bring the warmer bag.

Having said that... my guess is that if it is upper 20s then you'll probably be ok as long as your UQ is keeping you toasty warm but you will also need to make sure to keep the wind away from you or all bets are off. I have found that, for me, I need less TQ and need to concentrate on keeping the UQ side of things warm. But that's just me (see first answer above).

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    It depends on how warm or cold you sleep, but also, how bad would the occasional cold night be to find out? If you're worried about just a cold night, go with the 40* bag, if you're worried about freezing to death, then the 20* bag would be a better option.

If you sleep warm take the 40.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am going with the 40* + my warm-up sheet. I think I can survive 2 nights.

“It was so cold that If the thermometer had been an inch longer, we'd have frozen to death.” ~ Mark Twain

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    not sure about your area of the country, but here in WI if it's going to be below the temp rating on the bag I go with the warmer option despite weight (and I tend to be very weight aware).

If you're a hot sleeper or have some additional clothing / down gear with you it might mitigate the cold.

Personally, I like a good night sleep, sleep cold and don't like to be cold. Kind of ruins the trip for me if I don't sleep because of being cold.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It only dropped into the low 30's and I was toasty with my 0* UG and 40* bag. I did have a therma rest under my feet since I use a Phoenix.

• + New Posts