90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Opinions wanted: Making new hammock & UQ

I am still fairly new to hammocking. My current hammock is a ripstop DIY that is approximately 8.5 feet long. I originally had the ends whipped, but after my first official hang, I felt like a wrapped up burrito. I got very little sleep, however, it was hot the first night and cool the second. I, also, got leg cramps. I brought it home, unwhipped it and sewed in channels. It felt a lot better.

On my second hang, I got even more severe leg cramps. I think I may have had the hammock hung too high, but I don't know for sure that that is the reason for the leg cramps. I tend to get them while trying to move around inside the hammock and also when exiting.

On to hang #3...I gave the hammock another try. Once again, I got severe leg cramps and got almost no sleep. It was cold and I had some issues getting my sleeping bag UQ snug enough around me, but the leg cramps and not being able to get comfortable were the main issues.
    Fortunately, I hang with some pretty awesome guys who decided that I really needed to experience a better way. They set up a DN ENO and tarp, along with a PL cover for a cocoon and we attached my UQ. I only had one leg cramp and I did get considerable more sleep the second night of the hang. The third night, I adjusted the UQ better and I FINALLY had a decent night's sleep in a hammock! I only "almost" got a cramp once in my foot.

Now what is weird is that, a couple of the guys decided to lay in my original hammock. Both said, "Wow, this is small." However, the second one got a cramp in his foot as he tried to exit the hammock...how weird is that???

SOOO...here is where I am now....
    First, I am slightly on the height-challenged side at about 5'2". At home, I am pretty much a stomach sleeper. I can sleep on my right side, but would LOVE to be able to sleep more over on my stomach.
    I have ordered a crinkle taffeta tablecloth 90"x156". The plan is to trim off the ends to make an 11' hammock with channels. I already have an adjustable RL and whoopies ready to use.
    I realize this hammock is going to be a monster compared to my original. I am hoping that by having a longer and much wider hammock that I can get a great diagonal lay, possibly even able to sleep comfortably on my stomach. I am short enough, that I could even sleep completely perpendicular if I want. I have actually slept perpendicular curled into a ball in my original hammock.

I have some concerns with the hammock being wide, but I have seen many hangers who have said their 90" hammocks are very comfortable. I don't really care that it will be a much heavier hammock...I just want to SLEEP!
    I figure that if it seems too big, I can always trim it down later.

Right now, I have a very small hammock gear budget, so I DIY or trade for most items. If my money tree ever starts growing, maybe I can get a custom made hammock eventually. I laid in a dangerbird for a few minutes and thought I had just gone to heaven. Since it is made from the same material, even though it will only be one layer, I hope I will love mine just as well.

One other concern I have, is that I am going to be making a down UQ. I already have all my materials for it. I had planned to make it 48"x74-78" (not sure of exact length yet.) I wonder how I will attach the UQ in order to be sure it wraps around me if I am lying very diagonal. Should I make it wider since I know that I may move around a lot? I have 3 yds. of 60" ripstop to use for each layer, so there is much wiggle room in the dimensions. I have plenty of down, as well. I had originally planned to make 7 baffles with 2oz. each. That seems to be what most 15* UQs have. I could add more down, if necessary. I just want to be warm! In SC, I probably don't need to go down much lower than 15*...we usually only have a few nights in the teens.
    I am planning to make a matching down TQ, as well.

So, thoughts??
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Anybody??
    Maybe I put this in the wrong section.....
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap &amp; E.T.'s
    Images
    I cannot imagine what would cause the leg cramps, maybe eat more bananas?
    Check out Leighlo underquilt suspension video for a fairly flexible underquilt suspension system that may easily accommodate the asym of your wide hammock.
    I don't think you'll really need an extra wide UQ simply because it only needs to be wide enough to go around you (well half way around) not the hammock. Just my 2¢.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Maybe nobody knows the answer! I made a double layer 11 ft. x 60 hammock out of ripstop. It is very comfortable. I'm only 5'2", so I have lots of room. I put some reflectix with some fleece taped to it and that worked well, plus it is cheap. I tried my underquilt on it, but just didn't like it as well. I think if I had quilt hooks to hold the UQ where I needed it, it would have worked better.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    When I first got the leg cramps, I thought I might be dehydrated as it was very hot and I hadn't hydrated well. That wasn't the case on the other hangs. I had even drank powerade zeros that have added potassium in them. It all seems very strange. Hopefully having a larger, more roomy hammock will solve the mystery. Now if only the package would arrive!
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Can't speak to the leg cramps, but I did build myself an eleven foot DIY hammock and find it to be a lot more comfortable. I think that mine is around 60 inches wide - basically just hemmed the full-sized piece of material.

I am 5' 7" and can kind of pseudo-stomach sleep in mine. That perfect stomach sleep is the holy grail for me that I haven't yet been able to find. . .

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The longer hammock has to help with comfort.
    Like you mentioned, be aware of diet if you are prone to cramps.
    You can always make a big hammock smaller in the future, but it's hard to make a small hammock big. So, I think you have the right idea.

As to the underquilt, 48" is plenty wide. Lengthwise, you don't need it any longer than yourself. 14 ounces of down should take you into the teens.

Don't forget to post pictures of the hammock & quilt when your done!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    hennesy ultra light
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    I work third shift and when ever I go camping I find that I stay up 24 to 30 hrs to get on the day schedule most camping nights will find me cramping no matter what I drink or eat. Although I have found less in a hammock. I made 2 of the larger tablecloth hammocks and two smaller ones and I like the larger 11 footers better.
    As a wise man once said "If woman don't find you handsome at least they'll find you handy." Hang in there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Thanks for all the input so far. Very helpful. An UQ only as long as me...I think in standard sizes, that might be called a 3/4 UQ! Would use less fabric than I had planned...hmmm.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Try longer hammock and hang foot end higher than head end.

Of course you may have a haunted hammock.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast