Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images

PLUQ only good to 55* for me

Tested out my just completed 2/3 sewn PLUQ last night. Had on a T shirt and a medium weight jogging suit. It was 62* when I turned in for the night and all was good. Woke up at 11pm with a cold back side, at 49*. Wasn’t trying to make it thru the night, just wanted to know what the limits of this UQ would be for me. So I got up, went inside and made few notes about the results. As everyone knows or should know, test new gear close to home, or have a bail out plan.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    I took my PLUG down to 49 F a few nights ago. I slid a windshield cover between the sides of the PLUG and synched it up good. I wore a long sleeve shirt, long pants, light head cover and regular socks. I used my summer sleeping bag (rated as comfortable at 46 F). I was comfortable. On other occasions I have taken it down to 37 F by using a pad and a warmer sleeping bag.[IMG]RecentPictures (C:\Users\Mikeha\My Pictures (137)[/IMG]
    Last edited by Cermichael; 12-06-2012 at 16:42. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Without any underside insulation, most of us start to feel the chill at somewhere around 70degrees. From my experience I think a single layer of poncho liner should gain you about 10*-15* improvement. I don't know if your PLUQ is a single layer or a double layer but if it is single layer then 55* sounds about right.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    drifter, on my first ever hang I survived 32 f with a PLUQ supplemented with a layer of insul-fleece. It is a fleece coated mylar with micro perforations to prevent condensation. Check your local fabric store or WM if they have a fabric dept. It is light but rather bulky.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I'd rate the no-sew PLUQ to about 40* for me. I did a series of tests last winter in my front yard. Those may help with diagnosing just what might have caused you to be cold. I found the PLUQ to be a bit finicky about fit.

Considering my space heater tendencies when I sleep, I figure most folks should get about 45* to 50* as the low end with a no-sew.

I also did the same thing as olddog with the InsulBright, and I've found the sewn up version to be good as low as 25*. Most folks would find it good to about freezing or slightly above.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    Thanks for the input everyone but what I’m doing is looking for something to use this spring (long range planning) so I was just playing around with a new project to see what it was good for. I already have two other DIY UQ’s. One that is synthetic is good to 40* but doesn’t pack down very small. And my DIY down, well I still don’t know what its limit is yet, but I was toasty on a 28* night. My problem is I suffer from no built in insulation. When the temp drops below 60 during the day I’m looking for my thermals!
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

• + New Posts