Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big Agnes Sleep Systems

Hi, I am very new to hammock camping. I have spent only 4 nights in my ENO doublenest. I have Big Agnes zero degree bag and am looking at getting a either an insulated sleeping pad to slip in to the bag's pad sleeve or an under quilt. Any suggestions or recommendations would be much apprecitated!

Depends on how you like to lay in the hammock. If you like the way it lays now without any pad or air mattress under you, then wait until you can get a quilt.

A foam pad OR mattress will completely change the feel of the hammock underneath you.

I personally LIKE an air mattress as it mostly does away with calf ridge pressure and I don't need a pillow.

YMMV

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    I used a BA Encampment and insulated air core pad for a couple years before going to an UQ. It work ok. The pad was a bit small width wise but very doable. I just let the pad deflate about half and it conformed to my hammock.

You can also sew 4 small tabs on your bag and make it into an UQ. I just did this out of curiosity and was surprised at how well it worked. Here's a picture of it from last night. I didn't add anything to the sleeve as it was thick enough. My feet went into the pocket it made on the left side of the picture- I have a WBBB.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See-um
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    Big Ol Sleepin'bag
    Suspension
    cheap 1" straps
    I'm new here as well and have the same question. For my first time out I just used my old Coleman heavy-duty flannel and cotton batting monster with no pad or under quilt. It was 58° at nigh and I was very comfortable, but I would like to save weight and space and use my Big Agnes system. Next time out it will probably be in the 40's maybe even high 30's. My thought was to use the BA with a windproof reflective tarp (not the mylar kind) under the bag and pad for warmth. Any thoughts on this? or is an UQ the way to go.

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    Currently we are using the BA and pad. It has worked well for us thus far. I am thinking of adding a PLUQ for extra measure as they are inexpensive options for a bit more bottom warmth.
    "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB CB / UGQ WD
    Insulation
    WB Lynx / LL GP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

BA

My first two years I used a BA Encampment 15 degree bag with an exped downmat 9 pad. Worked well and justified the exped purchase for tent dwelling and hammocking. Since, I have graduated to under quilts, specifically JRB Shenandoah or Old Rag Mountain depending on temp. I wouldn't go back to a pad in a hammock, since I have slept remarkably well with uq's.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    If it's between a pad and a top quilt I vote for top quilt. To me, it's just more comfy (having tried BA insul aircore, CCF pad and now and underquilt).

Being wrapped in a cocoon of down is soooooo nice!

I'm new myself and I don't have a UQ, but based on the popular opinion it seems the best solution for warmth and comfort would be an underquilt. However, it is also a much more expensive solution . I have read post from people who seemed perfectly happy with the BA/pad system. I imagine the sleeve really helps. If you are able to get inside the sleeping bag, stay on the pad, and your comfortable it might work for you.

I guess if cost is not a factor, you could go straight for the UQ. It sounds like many people start with a pad, then graduate to the UQ . If you find a good deal on the pad (imagine there will be some REI coupons coming soon), then it's really not such a bad thing to have. You may need it if you are camping somewhere you can't hang. So, even if you bought a pad and it didn't work out in the hammock it might not be a total waste.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    The pad works. I don't like it, but it has saved my posterior on more than one occasion. It works for me with the Knotty mod done to the hammock, otherwise, I had trouble with it sneaking out of the foot box area. May end up going with just the pad and a 0-20* Western Mountaineering bag (funds permitting). No bargain that way, but I like the bag better than the TQ.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    I have tried different combinations of pads and UQ's and have found a Exped downmat UL 7 keeps me warm and gives me the most comfortable nights sleep. It also seems to be less hassle than UQ's. I second the remark of an inflatable pad eliminating calf pressure that can result from not having the hammock set-up just right. I sewed a short pad sleeve in the foot pocket to keep it in place.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast