SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I think the system will only take a 20"wide pad, right? That won't be wide enough to account for the sides of the hammock compressing the bag insulation on your shoulders. So, I vote for the UQ. You can certainly use a wider pad, of course, just not integrated into the BA bag.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    Right, the BA bag is made for a 20" wide pad. I also have a BA Zirkel bag I sometimes use the pad in But usually I just use my WB TQ when sleeping on the Exped down mat. I have not had much of a problem with side compression of the bag or TQ (but I have a slim build). The biggest problem is with bottom drafts coming up under the TQ.

I've used BA bags (got two, 30F and 0F bag) in hammocks for a couple of years.

I used Walmart blue 1/2" thick CCF (foam pads) and Volara (1/2" thick) CCF pads and found they worked very well. These pads are only 20" wide, so to protect my sides, I also used another CCF pad, made from Volara, that is 40" x 60" x 1/4" (only weighs 6oz) under my torso area.

Together these two pads, one at 1/2" thick and the other at 1/4" thick, have worked for me down to 18F -- I have not been fortunate enough to test any lower temperatures. I only recently switched to a 2/3 underquilt for my torso, but I still carry a wide 1/4" thick torso pad for very cold weather, just in case.

While many argue that underquilts are more comfortable, I too would agree the underquilt is better, the difference is from my BA system is not huge and I could easily switch between the two systems.

Bryan

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See-um
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    Big Ol Sleepin'bag
    Suspension
    cheap 1" straps
    The Big Agnes system does go up to 25" wide. At least it used too, I have the Hog Park 20° model.

i have tried a pad and hated it in my hennessy. couldn't get situated right. haven't tried an under quilt

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    The BA Insulated Air Core is rated to 15*. I used it it the hammock until I got an UQ. Very warm, but requires inflating. I use it when in a hotel room, on a cot. I take my girls skiing and give them the beds.

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    So far, my Zirkel rated to 20* and insulated air core have kept me nice and toasty. I'm super curious about a top quilt though. I have a Leighlo UQ that I haven't used in the field yet, just some backyard testing. I'm looking to get away from the zipped in feel of the sleeping bag, but funds are keeping me in the bag. I know it's a personal preference type of situation, so I'm just wondering if anyone has made the switch to TQ due to a mild case of claustrophobia (not clinical, mind you)?

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Has anyone used the BA Insulated Air Core system in conjunction with the HHSS (HH OCF pad + SB)? good results?

I'm trying to decide between using my BA Lost Ranger bag, without the insulated air core pad in the sleeve, on my HHSS setup for an upcoming trip this weekend with lows in the mid 20s.... or if I should insert the insulated air core pad into the bag...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12