WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

HH undercover vs WB sleeve?

I tired out my blackbird last night - the first snow of the season.

Temperature didn't seem to get much below freezing (32 degrees).

I had a CCF pad and thermarest type pad in the sleeve and was mostly warm, but could feel a narrow strip of cold along the center of my back. I was using the sleeping bag mostly like a blanket/quilt and it was a little warmer when I pulled it under me - though I know it was mostly compressed at that point.

I've used the HH with its undercover and a pad inside that. I think it provides a little more of an air gap - but not air flow - between the bottom of the hammock and outside air.

Without using a special under-quilt - just using a pad in the undercover (of the HH) or sleeve (of the WB) - I wonder what other's experiences are.

I do realize it was my first time in the WB BlackBird and I got in it at night, in the dark. So maybe something slid around inside the sleeve.

Next time I'll try the ccf pad in the sleeve and the narrower thermarest directly under the bag.

This was the coldest night I've been out and comfort-wise, the Blackbird was great.

I don't plan a lot of winter hanging, but it seems to me that if I can cut the airflow (convection heat loss) under the bag, it would be warmer than a tent on packed snow. Maybe not.

Please share your insights.

Thank you,
    Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Hey Paul,
    I'm trying to figure out why you would have a cold spot down the center of your back laying on pads in the pad pocket? Could it be the pads are not allowing your back to settle right into the center, with the pads forced into a "U" shape and your weight supported more by the outside edges of hammock and pads, so that there is a space between your spine and the pads? I don't really have an idea, just guessing wild here. I have not noticed this in the JRB Bridge, don'y yet have experience with the WB bridge.

When you ask "Without using a special under-quilt - just using a pad in the undercover (of the HH) or sleeve (of the WB) - I wonder what other's experiences are.", I'm not certain what your asking?

My experience is that I have been warm in the 30s or a little lower in the HHSS with 1 pad and space blanket. I also have something called HH kidney and Torso pads ( not many folks seem to have those ) which greatly increase warmth and also add down or fleece jackets in the UC under the pads, which gives another amazing warmth boost.

I have also been plenty warm and comfy in a JRB bridge with a torso sized piece of WM Blue pad in the pad pocket of the JRB bridge, but have not used a pad for winter temps, just an UQ.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    BillyBob, Thank you for your reply.
    I meant to post this in the general "bottom insulation" forum rather than the specific Pads.

In reading posts, it seem many have had both HH and WB at one time and wondered if they found the two different insulation styles different. The WB has that interior sleeve and the HH has the undercover.

I was also puzzled about the cold strip, but I was too comfortable to move

I know the bag wasn't always completely under me - I started out using it as a quilt. But maybe things did shift around a bit. I got into it in the dark and it was a bit chilly at the time so I was "under the covers" in no time.

Anyway - it was fun to wake up to snow and have no pressure points on shoulders and hips - as happens with ground sleeping.

This was the Blackbird model. I haven't tried the ridge runner yet.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    What type of pad were you using?

If self inflating, you may need to let a bit of the air out so that it better comforms to the curvature of the hammock.

If CCF it could be a small amount of sweat causing the chilled area.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I had a wide ccf pad with a narrower thermarest type pad on top. Even though the "religion" is the sleeping bag under the body is compressed, I think it still adds something. That is, without it, any movement that would expose the hammock material - what I was lying on - to the cold air would then cause that cold to be transferred to me. But in the complete cocoon of the bag I'd be insulated from the cold hammock material.

So I think when it is really cold out - i.e. winter temperatures - I should be sure to be completely inside the bag instead of using it more like a quilt like I was last night.

• + New Posts