Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I'm thinkin' 'bout a Traveler...

Future hammocker here. Thinking about a Traveler double 1.1, Mamajamba, and Travel Net. Suspension is TBD. I know lots of people like the Cloudburst but the MJ seems to be calling me, probably because it's smaller and lighter. If I need to I can put doors on the MJ. I like the modularity of a system like this. Maybe someday I'll get a more all-in-one solution, but I'm not planning for it now.

Simple is good.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    13x10camo, SuprFly
    Insulation
    Leighlo FLUQ
    Suspension
    webbing,biners,RL
    Recommend getting a hammock with netting installed. That's an easy decision where you'll encounter bugs. The tarp is more of a personal choice.

Hammock
    HH/SLD/GTUL/DH
    Tarp
    WL BD/MLD UL/OES
    Insulation
    te-wa/KAQ/WL/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I think that would be a great set up, you will have plenty of choices for whatever kind of weather or time of year you are going. Sounds like you have done your research! Make sure to post pics when you get it all together!
    check out my youtube channel! Trip Reports and hammock talk. - Creekcrossings Youtube channel

My Blog - Creekcrossings blog

Also check out my Facebook page! - Creekcrossings Facebook page

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    FWIW, I have an 11' Traveler (longer than standard), two-layer 1.1 that has only seen two nights usage. Webbing suspension. Send me a PM if you want to follow up. I'm open to selling because I have too many hammocks.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Sounds like a good set-up. The Traveler is a nice hammock. The only thing I didn't like about it is, that my feet tended to go over the edge if I got too close to it. The lay is great, though. Very flat.

I would also recommend the Mamajamba. The Cloudburst is made for the Ridgerunner, and is overkill for a normal hammock in my opinion. The Mamajamba is a great tarp.

Think about getting a Travel Sock as well, if you're planning to camp in cold weather. It traps a lot of heat.

Well, I wouldn't exactly say I've done my research. I'm still very much in learning mode, doing research. I was originally thinking about an ENO DN in a similar setup, but there was a general hue and cry regarding that, someone mentioned WB Traveler, and here I am. WBs in general seem to be well-respected, so I probably can't go too far wrong. In any case, a lot is down to personal preference, which, never having hung before, I don't really have at this point.

Suspensions still have me befuddled, but I know I want simple. Tubes for marlin spikes look like little things that'll get lost. The same goes for fancy clips - I don't use any fancy clips or stuff with my tent, and don't plan to for a hammock, either.

Maggot, I understand the advantage of integrated netting, and where I live that could be a plus, but for now I'm planning to go modular. Hey, a guy can have two hammocks, right?

I'm definitely interested in buying beep's Traveler, especially since it seems to be the older, longer version (stumbled across that little bit of info somewhere), but would like to feel a little more confident/comfortable before I do so.

Thanks.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Not to knock Warbonnet (I do own a bunch of Adams stuff and it's top notch), but if you're looking for a simple gathered end I find simply light designs streamliner to be the most comfortable gathered end I've ever slid my butt into. If you ordered a 10 foot from Jared you could still use the Warbonnet travel net too

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    For confusion about suspensions etc., I highly recommend starting where most of us started, with Shug's 10 part hammocking for noobs series on Youtube. Here is a link. Start here and all will become clear.

barchetta, I've noticed how fabric gathers on the sides and wondered about that. Looks like Simply Light has at least a partial solution.

weaver, I've definitely watched some Shug videos in the past week or two, and I watched grizzly's 3 part series on suspension earlier this morning.

Thanks.

I've got a cloudburst and the space is luxurious, but more than you really need for a gathered end hammock, it's perfect for a bridge hammock. If I wanted a big tarp for a gathered end I would want a winter type tarp with doors and stake out points closer together rather than the cloudburst. The Mamajamba will be a nice tarp for your setup. I haven't tried the simply light but but I really like my new blackbird and my understanding is that the traveler has the same lay. For me I like the integrated bug net on the blackbird, in Arkansas want a bug net just in case for the majority of the year so integrated make sense.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast