First DIY Mummy Bag Underquilt - Need a few pointers

I cut up some old board shorts instead of using crossgrain for the footbox opening, but I found it might be too constricting like it is. Has anyone ever cut the bag wide-open at the footbox to where the mummy bag would be more like a blanket? I'm gonna give this a shot to see if I can get more room for a diagonal lay.

Also, this bag has a draft collar with a cord running through it. The collar is right near the hood. I'm thinking about cutting the hood off and using the existing channel in the draft collar to run my shock cord for suspension. Any reason this wouldn't work?

EDIT - I cut the hood & zipper off, and cut the footbox open. It's approx. 68"L x 66"W/46"W. I'm going to run the shock cord through the draft channel tomorrow, do some sewing, and see how it turns out.

Pre-cut footbox (it's now cut wide open)

Draft collar near the hood, prior to cutting the hoof off.
    Last edited by FightingTheTide; 11-10-2012 at 22:23.
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Looks good. That's pretty much how you do it.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Looks like you've got it under control. I've done similar mods. Haven't cut straight thru the foot box as I wanted to get the "pod effect" of zipping the bag up if needed. It is however a bit confining in that config.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Yeah I thought about keeping the footbox intact if I ever wanted a peapod-eque option, but I landed on cutting it because I need a diagonal lay.

Here it is! Cheapest underquilt I'll ever make - $0 (I had shock cord, locks, thread, and fabric on hand already)

I'm also making a canvas sock. I'm hoping the sock, this underquilt, my 20 degree synth bag, and a warm base layer will keep me warm this weekend. The weather should be in the low 30's at night.
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

I hung under the spotty shade of some trees after lunch today. I was out there for an hour reading a good book to test the underquilt. The temp was about 45 F with wind gusts up to 12 mph...so I'm not sure what the actual temp was.

I was wearing jeans, cotton socks, a t-shirt, and a primaloft jacket. I was warm where it counted.

Here's a few pictures. The suspension is run through the ends. Is that the norm? Or do some run the suspension down the edges?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352921410.405109.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352921428.056973.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352921455.223316.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    I have my double PLUQ with only suspension on the ends....works great for me. Nice DIY.

• + New Posts