Hammock sock dimensions

Real quick - My hammock is ~104" long from each gathered end and it hangs ~31" from the lowest point to the SRL. I have a 9' x 6' 8oz canvas drop cloth.

The length (9') seems perfect, but the width (3' after folding in half) seems too tight. How much material should I add to make it a little roomier?

And any suggestions on what kind of material to use? This sock is going to be used in cold weather under a tarp.
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    My initial guess would be that you want to add fabric as wide as your hammock. So if you have a 60" wide hammock then you will want 60" added on. I'm just guessing at this number due to you only having roughly 5" of overlap in the current bit of material you have and you'll be wanting atleast that much space, maybe more, below you so as not to compress your UQs.

Now with that said, I've not yet made a winter sock for myself, but it is on my to do list. You may get better answers from a few of our sock experts such as MacEntyre and PapaSmurf.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    The best way to measure for a sock is to have someone in the hammock and then take measurements. If you can't find someone to get in for you, use big bags of something - dog food, concrete, etc. Then use a tape measure to get the circumference.

What type of hammock do you have? Could be someone has already made a sock and can give you some numbers. What type of sock are you looking to make? You may want to look at the Ted Bug Net style for it's simplicity.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=bugnet

Also look here for another pattern - http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...culator&page=2

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I followed the Fronkey Bug Net specs for one of the covers I made and added about a foot to each bottom to get the extra vertical distance. Works out to a width of about 65". The length may be a bit long, but it works to tie it out for additional inside room.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

I have a DIY gathered-end hammock. My canvas is long enough for my ridgeline, but I might go pick up another piece to give my sock a wider diameter. I'll get my wife to measure the necessary diameter in the next day or so.

After looking at all of the designs, I think I just want to go with a standard pull-over sock, and possibly a papasmurf inspired design. I've made a Fronkey bugnet and love it, but I don't think I want a bottom-entry sock...or a top entry sock.
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Your going to need about a 9'x9' canvas .
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Your going to need about a 9'x9' canvas .
    9'x9' total? That shouldn't be too hard to add a 9'x3' piece.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    as mentioned before, you need the circumference of your sock to be right: half of this is your hammock body, (the top half is normally air) and so double your hammock body width + a little to figure out how much you need.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    as mentioned before, you need the circumference of your sock to be right: half of this is your hammock body, (the top half is normally air) and so double your hammock body width + a little to figure out how much you need.
    I'll get my wife to measure the diameter needed while I'm laying in my hammock with my underquilt. MAD777 posted an exact dimension needed, so I was just curious if he thought that was sufficient...regardless, I'll take a measurement before sewing. Thanks for the tip!

• + New Posts