Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings

Why does the SS undercover seem stitched wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    But, thank you for giving yet another impressive report on what I have always felt was for the most part an under loved system.
    I agree billy bob. The SS has served me well with only it and a down quilt in Temps to the low 30s in 10-15mph wind. I've always thought about an UQ, and may one day get one, but I get good mileage out of the SS.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shhQuiet View Post
    I agree billy bob. The SS has served me well with only it and a down quilt in Temps to the low 30s in 10-15mph wind. I've always thought about an UQ, and may one day get one, but I get good mileage out of the SS.
    Not bad, Quiet!Were you using the little diamond shaped tarp, or a bigger one? ( I'm thinking about wind coverage here)

Did you have much condensation? That has been an HHSS problem for quite a few folks, but never for me.

Did you have many issues getting yours installed correctly the first time, or any time you may have reinstalled it? Because I think this is another common complaint, confusing trying to figure out if you have it on correctly. Easy to have it inside out/upside down. Then if folks are having problems they/we are not sure if they have it installed correctly.

But that's why I'm kind of tickled about this new video. I think most people could watch this video once or twice and then correctly install a SS UC in a couple of minutes. I think using this approach that an HHSS can be correctly installed every bit as easily as any UQ I have had. And as far as correct, maybe even easier. I have always said: once the thing is on there, correctly(which is now easy to do), it either works for you or it doesn't. There is nothing else to adjust. Just leave it on the hammock until hot weather. But now, when I see how easy it is to keep the UC straight/correct, I would not hesitate so much to take the HHSS off, either for an unusually hot night, or just to pack things up separately into individual dry sacks if I felt the urge. It just would not take me that long in camp to get it all back together, if I was doing it the way shown in the video. IMHO!

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings
    Not bad, Quiet!Were you using the little diamond shaped tarp, or a bigger one? ( I'm thinking about wind coverage here)
    I only have the little diamond tarp- I wish I had the bigger hex, but I'm actually thinking about springing for a cuben cat-cut hex ($$). I am a backpacker, so weight is a concern. A friend just bought an Exped. and I advised him to go with the Hennessy hex and he is pleased with it. To block the wind, I just pitch the tarp closer to the bug net.

Did you have much condensation? That has been an HHSS problem for quite a few folks, but never for me.
    I don't have the OC, so I can't comment on that... I could see how it would help with wind. The only condensation problem I've ever had was when the side tie-out came loose and fell close to my face while I was asleep. When I woke up there was some condensation on the inside of the hammock.

Did you have many issues getting yours installed correctly the first time, or any time you may have reinstalled it? Because I think this is another common complaint, confusing trying to figure out if you have it on correctly.
    No issues, but I did take the time to install/uninstall while hanging at home to make sure I got it right.

EDIT:
    I forgot to add- Bottom Entry Rules!
    Last edited by shhQuiet; 05-24-2013 at 15:53. Reason: bottom entry
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shhQuiet View Post
    I only have the little diamond tarp- I wish I had the bigger hex, but I'm actually thinking about springing for a cuben cat-cut hex ($$). I am a backpacker, so weight is a concern. A friend just bought an Exped. and I advised him to go with the Hennessy hex and he is pleased with it. To block the wind, I just pitch the tarp closer to the bug net.
    Well here is why I was asking. You said you had been fine in the low 30s with up to 15 mph winds. With that little tarp, you need to be really good at tarp pitching and/or site selection to do a good job blocking wind passing under the hammock. That's where the oft overlooked advantage the HH UC has when it comes to blocking wind and side ways rain. It protects the hammock from side ways rain/wind and ground splash as good or better than the largest tarp, IMO. If you had an UQ of about the same weight as the HHSS, you might not have been warm enough if you were unable to block that wind with the little tarp, or unless you purchased a separate UQ protector. IMO, that is by far the biggest plus of the HHSS system, the built in- included in the cost, weight and bulk- sil-nylon under cover that is as wind/waterproof as your tarp.

As for my positive experience with it saving me from a freezing night when I was exposed to wind blasting in the foot end with the tiny tarp, see post #3.

I don't have the OC, so I can't comment on that... I could see how it would help with wind. The only condensation problem I've ever had was when the side tie-out came loose and fell close to my face while I was asleep. When I woke up there was some condensation on the inside of the hammock.
    I am actually thinking of condensation under neath you, down in the UC and on the HH pad, or maybe on top of the space blanket which is on top of the HH pad. That is where more than a few folks have complained of condensation issues, though I have never had any trouble at all.

No issues, but I did take the time to install/uninstall while hanging at home to make sure I got it right.
    Same here, but a few times over the years, when I am reinstalling as winter starts after I have not put one on since the previous spring, I have sometimes had to take some time and figure it out. I think this complexity relates to the question the OP put forth back in post #1. I hope he sees this video, which really should make it easy for even a 1st time user.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings
    That's where the oft overlooked advantage the HH UC has when it comes to blocking wind and side ways rain.
    I agree- when you're nestled down in the hammock, the silnylon UC really does block the wind, from any angle, IMO. The diamond tarp doesn't do much unless it's a light rain with no wind. If it's REALLY raining, you want to be able to get out of the hammock and have a spot to stand or cook, etc. and that's where the big hex is better. Plus you can pitch it all the way to the ground if you need to.

I am actually thinking of condensation under neath you, down in the UC and on the HH pad, or maybe on top of the space blanket which is on top of the HH pad.
    Nope. Never an issue for me either, although I can see how some people might have an issue with the space blanket being so close to you. I am a "cold" sleeper, so maybe I don't put out as much water vapor as a hot sleeper.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Last weekend I had my first camping trip with the SS installed. First night was cool (about 2*C), 2nd night was warmer (about 7*C) with sporadic rain, last night same temp, but poured all night. The last morning I got up there was some water droplets between the SS and the foam. That was it for the three nights. My backside stayed very toasty, although up top I was cool. My 20+ year old sleeping bag isn't as warm as it used to be.
    The underside of the SS was very wet the third morning. This was rather expected from using the stock tarp in steady rain.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    Last weekend I had my first camping trip with the SS installed. First night was cool (about 2*C), 2nd night was warmer (about 7*C) with sporadic rain, last night same temp, but poured all night. The last morning I got up there was some water droplets between the SS and the foam. That was it for the three nights. My backside stayed very toasty, although up top I was cool. My 20+ year old sleeping bag isn't as warm as it used to be.
    The underside of the SS was very wet the third morning. This was rather expected from using the stock tarp in steady rain.
    Wow! Once again, not too shabby! Did you have the small tarp? I bet there was at least a little wind involved, which is probably how the underside of the HHSS got very wet, either that or splash up. I think using a down UQ the weight of of the SS, with that small HH tarp, would have proved very challenging under the conditions you specify. I think you needed the wind and water protection provided by the UC. Those water droplets between the SS(UC?) and the foam remind me of one time in a really severe, windy storm(with the small tarp) when I found about a tablespoon or so of water the next morning, down in the lowest part of the SS, but the hammock and foam were dry.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    There was no wind at our level, just a lot of splashing. I just ordered some fabric for a new hex tarp. That should get rid of the splash back issue all together. All in all, I'm quite impressed with the SS and plan to keep it on for the summer. I already have an UQ and TQ shell that just need down for some extreme winter camping.

Hammock
    HH UL BP Classic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    @BillyBob, Thanks again. However i should note that when I did my initial overnight trip to test the SS, I also tested a new bag. I got down into the mid 20's with a Western Mountaineering Down bag (10 degree bag). So I was nice and toasty. I also used the overcover over the stock HH rainfly. I did get a good amount of condensation, but I did pitch the fly on a ridgeline that was connected to the hammock suspension line. As a result it hangs right next to the hammock. So, I think, and HH my suggest the same in their literature, the overcover is only needed when temps are below 20. Also, if you pitch your tarp on a separate line from the hammock (my preferred method), then you probably won’t get as much condensation. Additionally, no matter what system one uses-hammock or bivy sac-some condensation is to be expected since you respire at least a quart of water in your sleep.

Hammock
    HH UL BP Classic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    To me, one of the best things about the HHSS is the undercover. The reason being that in a pinch you can stuff it with leaves or grass to increase your insulation. So it’s nice to have that option especially if you are freezing your butt off due to weather or lack of packed-in insulation. I have not tried this yet with my HH, but I will. I have built shelters-debri huts- out of sticks/branches/logs and leaves and spent many a night in them with just my clothes or a wool blanket, so I can attest to the insulating properties of grasses and leaves.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12