Sub Zero Bridge Hammock

I've been reading a lot about people building cold weather hammocks but I've been kind of disappointed by the temperature ratings. the lowest I've seen is 35ºF I want to build a setup that would be good to 0ºF or less. My goal is to take my machine out for a multi day trip. Rather than dig a snow cave. To this however I need to come up with a snow proof design and find ways to really pack on the insulation. Weight will be much less of an issue on this as the machine will carry the weight and not my back!

Note this will be a bridge hammock and not a gathered end one

Todo this I have a few ideas I'm hopping you all can build on.

• Need basic insulation value - 900fp down underquilt that covers the bottom, side and end caps.
    • Sleeping bag. - My thought here is to built a half bag that contains an insulated sleeping matt (Downmat 9) on the bottom side.
    • Reflective layler - My thought was to sew a mylar sheet on the inside of the underquilt to reflect my own body heat back on to me.
    • Stop Air movement around the hammock - A tarp that extends to the ground on all sides.
    • no bug net just a solid cover on top - not sure if it should be breathable or not. I was thinking I would find a different way to move air in and out of the hammock in a more controlled fashion.

I'm hopping this combined with Cold weather gear: Shocks. Long underwear, gloves, hat..... would be enough to stay good and warm in 0 to -20ºF

Heres what I ride. (this isn't mine, I just dont have a photo of mine)

Here's my bridge hammock. The insulation pad is held in place with snaps. The pad curls up nicely around my body. I am hoping that with a -33 degree military sleeping bag I'll be able to stay warm. Weight all up without sleeping bag = 10 lbs
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by oreana View Post
    Here's my bridge hammock. The insulation pad is held in place with snaps. The pad curls up nicely around my body. I am hoping that with a -33 degree military sleeping bag I'll be able to stay warm. Weight all up without sleeping bag = 10 lbs
    Hahaha I still have my 3 part bag from the army... I have to admit their ratings are not as lost as they state. I think they add in the ability of the commander to say "suck it up... thats an order" to add 10-20 degrees! with both the patrol and black bag i wouldn't rate it at less than 10 to 15 degrees.

What does your insulation layer look like?

So far it is a rectangle of closed cell foam 1/2 inch thick. I have a huge roll of the stuff!

So far it is a rectangle of closed cell foam 1/2 inch thick. I have a huge roll of the stuff!
    Nice. No under quilt?

Also where do you see -30F in that bag? I've used mine in 10*F and froze!!!!!

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    thats cool ,its kind of like a 57 chevy of hammocks.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I have no experience with a bridge hammock, but I would think with some serious overfill you should be able to get to the temps you're looking for. I think condensation is going to be your biggest problem. I would think that your top cover would have to be breathable for that reason.

I would agree that the military bag probably won't get you down to -33*, I think that rating assumes you have all your issued cold weather gear on. I've had mine down into the 20's twice. With just the black and bivy I was great but when I had all three together I was way too warm, both times in just my skivvies. So, I think I should be able to go close to 0* especially if I had some polypros and a hot water bottle.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    The Mt Rogers group are always testing the weather limits.

Try this thread... It starts with a lot of good advice.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=Rogers

$99.95 -- The 4-Part US Military Modular Sleep System sleeping bags and other components are constructed to be used in conjunction with each other, or separately to complete an interoperable system known as the extreme cold weather sleeping bag.

Purchase US Military Modular Sleep System

US Military Modular Sleep System The 4-Part US Military Modular Sleep System sleeping bags and other components are constructed to be used in conjunction with each other, or separately to complete an interoperable system known as the extreme cold weather sleeping bag. The MSS is designed to provide comfort in temperature ranging from 50ºF to -30ºF when wearing various layers of extreme cold weather clothing.

Used fair to good condition

Camo Green Patrol Bag
    Temperatures to +30°
    Reversible double-pull (opens end to end) slider allows top or bottom ventilation
    Non-locking slide fastener self repairs if jammed or snagged
    Draft flap prevents heat loss
    Hood adjusts for heat retention; includes nylon drawcord and barrel lock
    DIMENSIONS: 92" x 37"
    Black Intermediate Bag
    Temperatures to -10°
    Free from cold spots
    Insulation does not migrate in the bag
    Anatomically designed foot box contains twice the insulation as the bag
    Sewn-in, quilted chest collar prevents air drafts up and down through the hood
    Hood adjusts for heat retention; includes nylon drawcord and barrel lock
    DIMENSIONS: 87" x 35.5"
    Woodland Camouflage Waterproof Bivy Cover
    Made from waterproof, moisture-vapor-permeable material with all seams heat sealed
    Includes snap fastener and slide fastener
    DIMENSIONS: 85" x 28" x 35"
    Black Stuff Sack
    Constructed of water resistant materials
    Compressible to one cubic foot
    Six 1"-wide nylon webbing straps adjust by ladderlock buckles
    Reinforcement webbing is sewn around the circumference of the bag
    Nylon drawcord closure with a barrel lock
    DIMENSIONS: 30" x 14"

• + New Posts