Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images

Using an UQ with a pad?

I have come to like my Exped DownMat UL7 for both warmth and comfort and have not had much of an issue with side insulation unless it gets down below 30*F. For those temps I have used the ENO Hotspot with acceptable success. It occurred to me that there is only around 3 oz. difference between the ENO Hotspot and the WB 3-season Yeti. Anyone tried using a light UQ with an inflatable pad? If so, any thoughts?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I've been thinking about this lately as well, with colder weather coming around. I'll be paying attention to this thread closely.

For what it's worth (and bear in mind, this is untested) I'd think you could effectively just add the insulative properties (made that word up, I think) of the two together.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I was doing that with an Insulmat pad and my 40* Incubator. Recently sold the Incubator and will be getting a 0*. In the mean time, I'm using a DIY under quilt that was made from a child's size sleeping bag. That UQ was only good into the 50's, but works fine with the pad into the low 40's. I found that the Knotty mod on my hammock was the secret to keeping the pad in place.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

uq with pad

I have a bmbh, and I use a Neo air (original, regular size, 20" wide by 72" i believe) with it for superior comfort (sometimes without it), but found that it was tough to sleep on when it gets colder especially because of the no side insulation deal. So I threw the jrb grey lock 3 under it. I found that it was really warm. Its the way I went with on my last kayak trip and slept really well at 30*. I did put my down sweater under my feet in the pad pocket... worked amazingly and I used a go light 1 season top quilt. Woke up at 10 to 6 because I was too hot and it was raining. I checked the weather and found that it had warmed up from when I went to bed (prob why I was too hot). I am a warm sleeper though... have gotten through some insane cold before with not so much insulation.

Mark

On another note... I also have a Neo air xtherm that I have tried before, but did not like it in the hammock. It may be useful in extreme cold (for me, may be different for others) but I woke up in a deep sweat with that thing... I swear its radioactive (slight exaggeration). I much prefer the original Neo air. I use it to make the bmbh a great experience. Since it has little insulation I consider it a luxury that I definitely love to afford.

Mark

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    Since the WB Yeti is not a full length UQ the Exped downmat takes care of the insulation from my butt to my feet. It also helps mask any comfort issues of not having the hammock not set-up exactly right. Like the ones that usually occur when I set-up in a storm or in the dark.

• + New Posts