First 2 nights in a hammock

On a climbing trip over the weekend, and had packed my hammock (A modded TrekMates Expedition - climbing cord cinched ends, and webbing straps) into my bag, just in case, since it took up so little room.

Well, it was worth taking it! We were staying in an old converted barn and i realized there was a perfect area to hang a hammock up, from the roof rafters. 2ft from the floor, but on a balcony 10ft up! So i did the logical thing, and set it up straight away!

Of course, i hadnt planned on sleeping in the hammock, (i took it more for chilling in the day or while out at a crag..), so i wasnt properly prepared. I had a sleeping bag rated to comfort level of 8-12C, extreme of -5C, no sleeping pad, no underquilt or spare sleeping bag. So i thought about it and came to the conclusion that my microfiber towel could go unfolded between the layers of the hammock. That would surely be enough?

It wasnt. I was in the sleeping bag, fully clothed. I was cold (less than 5C in the hut). BUT, i was really comfortable! So comfortable in fact that despite waking up 4-5 times each night to change position or wiggle up/down a bit, i awoke in the mornings feeling fresh and relaxed. Im pretty sure when i got in on the second night, gently swaying from getting in the right position, i was asleep within minutes!

The others were all in sleeping bags on thick, but cheap foam "mattresses" not fancy at all. A good number of them complained "Too many people / so and so knee'd me/ couldnt get comfy, etc". My only complaint was that i was a little cold!

The first night back, in a "proper" bed was last night. I woke up feeling tense and sore. The cheap modded hammock was more comfortable than my bed!

Now i just want to find somewhere to hang it in my room

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Ha - I wish I could work out being a full-timer! Sounds like you had a balst. Would have liked to see some picks of your barn hang!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamba
    Insulation
    StormCrow UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sounds awesome. Some pictures of that would be great. I have converted a few of my friends to hammocks, for the same reasons you listed.

Sounds like you had a blast. I agree, where are the pics?

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie slings
    Yeah being a full time hanger has its pros but I can't have me and the wife together in it I'm sure after I e been married a while I won't care as much neither will she. Lol. I have one in the garage pretty much year round and if I get home from work before the fan I just chill in there till I'm awaken by the door roaring open
    A man does not climb a mountain without taking some of it away with him, and leaving something of himself upon it.

Unfortunately my mind was elsewhere when packing up and so i forgot to take any pictures

Worse still, i only realized the lack of pics on the drive home, too late to even clip it back into place for a pic.

I have noticed my uni's library has support poles which would almost be perfect though..

• + New Posts