Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    stealth not OK . can camp at Bass River Wed nite, Buttonwood on Thur nite (this is 5 mile hike from Batsto, 2 hike road walk) then off to hang at Batona.
    Friday we would hike past Batsto, then Lower Forge and end at Hang.

Verizon has cell coverage all the way. Sprint is spotty.

ill post a map this week.

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious (usually that's case) but I see an area designated Bass River on the park map I have but not a campsite. Is it Bodine Field or Lake Absegami?
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Foot View Post
    Perhaps I'm missing something obvious (usually that's case) but I see an area designated Bass River on the park map I have but not a campsite. Is it Bodine Field or Lake Absegami?
    I think he meant Absegami.

Images
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Images
    hiking north to the hang Thursday and Friday or just Friday

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98283232 Bass River to Buttonwood (only if 2-3 day trip)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79925335 Buttonwood to Batona

any more other thoughts on this?
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Tinkr Custom, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images
    hiking north to the hang Thursday and Friday or just Friday

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98283232 Bass River to Buttonwood (only if 2-3 day trip)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79925335 Buttonwood to Batona

any more other thoughts on this?
    im was planning to hike from Bass River before this started. this route (Southern Batona) would give people the opportunity to jump in at 6 different times.

Wednesday noon-nite
    Thursday morn/afternoon/nite
    Friday morn
    Dan (Tinkr) and hoping to hike Thursday and Friday (weather permitting) . Wondering if you could provide a bit more information regarding the possibilities you mentioned?

Based on the maps and links provided (Thanks!) and the fact that you cannot stealth, it seems like the most obvious routes would be:

Day 1 Bass River to Buttonwood (~ 15.3 mi.)
    Day 2 Buttonwood to Batona (~ 16.1 mi.)

or

Day 1 Batsto to Lower Forge ( ~ 7.3 mi)
    Day 2 Lower Forge to Batona ( ~ 5.8 mi.)

are there other options? A little hesitant regarding the first option considering length, and the shortness of the days at this time of year The second option seems like it may be a bit too short. Thanks in advance for your assistance and advice.
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    In the Pine Barrens, It's kind of hard to find an itinerary that is around 10 miles. You could start at Buttonwood Hill and hike to Batona (3.4 miles), then hike to Mullica River Wilderness Camp (4.5 miles). Hike up to the Wilderness Camp Connector Trail and cross over to Quaker Bridge (2 miles), then hike the 1.3 miles to Lower Forge. That would give you an 11.2 mile hike.

On the second day, you could hike down to Quaker Bridge via the road you'll see on the map (approx. 1 mile), then turn around and head north again on the Batona Trail to Batona Camp (6.8 miles). That would give you a 7.8 mile day.

Alternatively on the second day, you could hike north right past Batona to Apple Pie Mountain (9.4 miles), then turn around and hike back to Batona (3.6 miles), giving you a 13 mile day. You'll also be able to brag that you conquered the arduous climb and dramatic elevation presented by Apple Pie Mountain.

Hammock
    Tinkr Custom, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    In the Pine Barrens, It's kind of hard to find an itinerary that is around 10 miles. You could start at Buttonwood Hill and hike to Batona (3.4 miles), then hike to Mullica River Wilderness Camp (4.5 miles). Hike up to the Wilderness Camp Connector Trail and cross over to Quaker Bridge (2 miles), then hike the 1.3 miles to Lower Forge. That would give you an 11.2 mile hike.

On the second day, you could hike down to Quaker Bridge via the road you'll see on the map (approx. 1 mile), then turn around and head north again on the Batona Trail to Batona Camp (6.8 miles). That would give you a 7.8 mile day.

Alternatively on the second day, you could hike north right past Batona to Apple Pie Mountain (9.4 miles), then turn around and hike back to Batona (3.6 miles), giving you a 13 mile day. You'll also be able to brag that you conquered the arduous climb and dramatic elevation presented by Apple Pie Mountain.

Can you park at Buttonwood? How about Apple Pie Mountain? If so I was thinking Buttonwood to Lower Forge (looks like this is ~ 10.7 mi.) Thursday then Lower Forge to Apple Pie Mountain on Friday ( ~ 10.1 mi). I'd probably set up my hammock on Friday as I passed the Batona campsite and slack pack the last 3.7 mi. I'd probably leave a car at Apple Pie Mountain and drive back to the Batona camp.
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Foot View Post
    Can you park at Buttonwood? How about Apple Pie Mountain? If so I was thinking Buttonwood to Lower Forge (looks like this is ~ 10.7 mi.) Thursday then Lower Forge to Apple Pie Mountain on Friday ( ~ 10.1 mi). I'd probably set up my hammock on Friday as I passed the Batona campsite and slack pack the last 3.7 mi. I'd probably leave a car at Apple Pie Mountain and drive back to the Batona camp.
    there is no camping at apple pie mt and it is heavily patrolled and not a safe place to leave car over nite. consider parking at atsion station.

Hammock
    Hexon1.0
    Tarp
    SP Mt Wilderness
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Marlinspike
    Images
    I'm about 3 hrs away, might have to work till noon Fri. Thought I drive down to a site, camp that night and hike a few hrs into Baton Sat morning. Not familiar with area hoping someone can give me a location to park and hang Fri night. Fell free to send PM. Thank You

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldNWay View Post
    I'm about 3 hrs away, might have to work till noon Fri. Thought I drive down to a site, camp that night and hike a few hrs into Baton Sat morning. Not familiar with area hoping someone can give me a location to park and hang Fri night. Fell free to send PM. Thank You
    You could always come to Batona then hike to either Apple Pie mountain or go with one of the other groups planning on doing something on Saturday.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast