Just bought my first hammock first night out was really bad due to me not knowing what to do to stay warm. Now after doing some research I see the gear needed. So here is the question. I'm a backpacker so weight and space are a concern. I hear that ham mocking is supposed to be lighter than a tent but, by the time you add hammock, tarp, UQ,OQ it just seems like allot more gear and weight than my solo tent. I just want to get everything down and keep researching because hammocking appears to be expensive. Thanks allot. Keep in mind funds are not unlimited here so I'm willing to make some sacrifice of weight and space for comfort and flexible site selection. I currently carry a 60 backpack. I'm looking at a homemade under quilt and changing to whopping slings (for what I understand they are strong, adjustable, and lightweight) thanks for any tips that can get me started and after I get hooked on hanging I can slowly upgrade my gear to better smaller and lighter. I know anyone can go drop a bunch of cash and end up with a 1lb condominium but you have to start somewhere thank guys you all have been very helpful.