SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    A hammock is not a "pad" because it doesn't insulate, BUT it does allow a method of insulation that tenters typically carry with them but don't use in a tent - the bottom of your sleeping bag. You may have to rethink what a "sleeping bag" is, but with a hammock/tarp to replace the tent and an UQ/TQ to replace the sleeping bag, it would be real easy to get light AND comfortable.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I've found weight to be about a wash. As for cost, it is just like picking up all new ground gear, not cheap for the good light stuff.

you can pick up some cheap CCF to cut to a specific shape for underpad. Use your sleeping bag for a TQ. Then you're just left with tarp, suspension and hammock. Lots of options for those last three. As several have mentioned, conduct a lot of research on the forums (that's what I did) and you'll figure out what might work for you. Then watch the for sale and you should be able to build a pretty good kit over time.

Good news is you have gear to get out, even if you're not hangin! That's the important thing.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Let me give you some ideas on weight. sizes not withstanding, my full setup (including the bug net that i dont need in the winter and winter weight quilts) is about 6.35lbs. even my solo, single pole tent i use in EMERGENCIES is 4lbs without any insulation or pads, just the shelter.

ENO DN with full suspension (with rings): 22.7oz
    BIAS Bug net: 8.7oz
    UGQ 20* TQ: 17.1oz
    UGQ 20* UQ (full length+): 28.5oz
    WL big Daddy Tarp, (fully rigged in sack): 17.5oz
    WL Synthetic Pillow: 7.2oz

keep in mind my quilts were made a LOT bigger than normal, needing more weight and size to pack. i still fit both quilts in the sleeping bag compartment in the pack with the pillow
    Last edited by default; 11-14-2012 at 21:17.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    Let me give you some ideas on weight. sizes not withstanding, my full setup (including the bug net that i dont need in the winter and winter weight quilts) is about 6.35lbs. even my solo, single pole tent i use in EMERGENCIES is 4lbs without any insulation or pads, just the shelter.

ENO DN with full suspension (with rings): 22.7oz
    BIAS Bug net: 8.7oz
    UGQ 20* TQ: 17.1oz
    UGQ 20* UQ (full length+): 28.5oz
    WL big Daddy Tarp, (fully rigged in sack): 17.5oz
    WL Synthetic Pillow: 7.2oz

keep in mind my quilts were made a LOT bigger than normal, needing more weight and size to pack. i still fit both quilts in the sleeping bag compartment in the pack with the pillow
    Thats good to know, i dont own anything made of down, it looks big but wasnt sure how tight it compressed. pack space is precious. Thank you

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    You can go a little bit lighter on the ground, and have a small tarptent, solo mid etc. And suffer all the condensation and being on the hard ground. For me it's lighter in a hammock as the amount of pads I would require would offset any weight loss, and I don't trust modern air pads. Even if weight was a huge difference I'd rather stick my dingus in a beehive than sleep on the ground.

Hammock
    DIY Timber Wolf or Grey Wolf
    Tarp
    DIY Wolf Den
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear, UGQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Smile Ultralight

I'm a newbie here and am an ultralight backpacker. Just got into hammocking and have done some simple math... Instead of a base weight of 9-10 lbs with my UL ground sleeping gear, I can go UL with my hammock and add less than 2 lbs.

I use a quilt from Katabatic Gear for ground sleeping. It works in my hammock, too. I ditch my 1 lb pyramid and take a 1 lb tarp. I ditch my 10 oz pad and take a 22 oz UQ.

The hammock weighs 1 lb.

So for 1 lb 12 oz I'm in a hammock. Base weight is now at 10 lb 12 oz or so. By definition any base weight under 12 lbs is considered UL.

My back feels much better carrying 1 lb 12 oz more and sleeping in a hammock. Yay!!!!

Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou Bentspoke View Post
    You can go a little bit lighter on the ground, and have a small tarptent, solo mid etc. And suffer all the condensation and being on the hard ground. For me it's lighter in a hammock as the amount of pads I would require would offset any weight loss, and I don't trust modern air pads. Even if weight was a huge difference I'd rather stick my dingus in a beehive than sleep on the ground.
    Wow! That's dedication.... Think ill skip the beehive and just try the hammock lol.

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Let's compare two common set ups. Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 single with Edge tarp, about 34 ounces, compare to a Tarptent Moment @ 30 ounces, add 4-6 ounces for a ground cloth for the tent and it's a wash.
    Now for the top quilt, same for both, so that is a wash. Now for the sleeping pad vs Underquilt, if you trust a Neo Air pad then you can save a few ounces on the ground over a hammock, so we are basically down to ounces here, not really enough to be a deciding factor.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    my gear isn't the best or light, but my weights are in the signature, further details in my profile.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    DH 11' Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images
    I'm a motorcycle camper so weight is not the main concern for me. To address the OP I found that if I bought the best (I considered) after spending time here on HF and searching the net, I could afford I would come out ahead. I have, too many times, bought inexpensive items to "check out" the systems (be it tent camping, tires or riding gear) and they end up in a pile in the garage as I moved up the "quality" ladder.

DYI is very cost effective and prideful but does it meet the requirements you need? Do you have the skill to pull of the desired effects? Is buying cheaper gear satisfactory in the long run?

Start at the top and work your way down!!

As an example look here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=62797

In the end get the best you can afford NOW and enjoy it..........my $.02
    ~Adventure Before Dementia~

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12