Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Ripstop w/ Knotty Mod
    Tarp
    DIY & WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Double Duty: Modifying Topquilt for use as Underquilt or Topquilt

I'm curious to know if anyone here has a converted a topquilt to be used as an underquilt with the option of going back to topquilt.

I have a GoLite 1 Season Down Quilt with a sewn footbox that I'm considering modifying but I'm curious to know if it's been done before.

I'm thinking of just ripping the footbox seam down to the bottom and cutting out the flat bottom so the quilt can open up like a blanket. Making some 3/4" tubes out of 1.1 ripstop and sewing them to the edges (to run shockcord through). Then add a few snap buttons towards the bottom so when it's being used in quilt mode I can just cinch the bottom closed and button a few buttons.

The only bummer that I can see is that it has horizontal baffles. Quilt tapers for ~45" towards the top and ends up around 35" at the bottom if it could open fully.

Motivation behind doing this? 1) I already own the GoLite. 2) I don't always hammock camp (Tarptent Rainbow on occasion) and I like the idea of getting the most from my gear.

Has anyone done it? Anyone see any reason I shouldn't give it a go myself?

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    The JacksRBetter has some that do just that. They are TQs with tabs on the corners for attaching suspension to. I have one and have only ever used it as an UQ. It has horizontal baffles as well which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I can shift down towards the center of the quilt when it's cold to give more warmth under me. It's a wide for an UQ anyway and my TQ gives me insulation on the sides. Or if its kinda warm I can shift down up the sides leaving less insulation on the bottom. Although some of it tends to shift back down throughout the night.

I say go for it.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Ripstop w/ Knotty Mod
    Tarp
    DIY & WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    ^^ Thanks for the input!

I didn't even realize JRB had those "multi-function quilts". That's definitely encouraging and it looks like their execution is basically how I would set mine up.

Now I'm wondering if I even need to run a full length channel down the long ends, or if I could just sew on some grosgrain loops and hang it similar to the JRB system.

Thanks for info SwinginIt!

• + New Posts