Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

sleeping bag advice?

Hello from a newby,

I love my Hennessey A-sym . Anyway just floundering a little. Current pad is a 28" Target ccf which is nice and wide. Loose mummy Kelty synthetic bag.

After a good deal of forum searching, I am trying to formulate a plan for wintertime use (approx +30 degrees F.) I checked out a Big Agnes system at REI on the basis of forum recommendations. I liked the concept of the slip in inflatable, down or synthetic pad as an insulating layer, but I wondered what happens if you don't sleep on your back all night? At least on the ground you can roll over in your mummy bag and the Thermarest pad stays underneath you (more or less). When you roll in a BA rig in your hammock wouldn't the pad turn with you?

Thanks,
    Slim

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    I am a side sleeper and 260pds. I have a BA Encampment 15 degree and it is plenty big enough to turn over without any problems. I have used both a CCF pad and a self-inflatable pad and both seem to do the trick for me.
    Pulling my knees up is a little easier with the CCF but not really enough to make a difference. The bag is big enough to allow you to pull them up without folding the bag most of the time.

Hope this helps... Hang well!
    ------- AKA "4D's" ----------------
    "Oh yeah, to keep it on topic. I sewed on my hammock today"

"A night above ground makes the next days ride even more enjoyable"

"As for his secret to staying married: "My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me." -- Jon BonJovi

Happy Wife = Happy Life" -- author unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just got a BA park series (Summit park) which run a bit bigger than the other BA bags (take 25'' pad). I agree although I have not used it in the hammock yet, that it is plenty big enough to roll around inside without exposing the uninsulated side. I plan at some time in the future to get a mt washington uq and use this bag. I think it will be a nice combo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

follow up

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Just got a BA park series (Summit park) which run a bit bigger than the other BA bags (take 25'' pad). I agree although I have not used it in the hammock yet, that it is plenty big enough to roll around inside without exposing the uninsulated side. I plan at some time in the future to get a mt washington uq and use this bag. I think it will be a nice combo.
    Today I was able to play with my new sleeping bag a little in the hammock and here is what I came up with in about 30 minutes. Keep in mind this was all tested indoors at about 75 degrees in just a few minutes but I will take what I can get until I go camping.

I used the sleeping bag stated above in two ways (both without a pad). The first was inside the bag (like you would sleeping on the ground) and I found it to work really well for me. Getting in was a bit tricky as it was just a big ball of sleeping bag and it was hard not to let if fall out the back side as I hung the top of the sleeping bag over the edge of the hammock (ENO double) to get in. I'm sure I would have got some dirt on it outside of the bag had I not been indoors but no big deal. This is probably more clumsiness on my part and not a fault of the bag although if I were trying to get in a night with no flash light it could be tricky. After I got in and zipped up it felt really warm. I instantly started to sweat. Without ever having used a top quilt I will say it felt like having a top quilt on and the big bonus was the bag moved with me as I changed positions from fetal to straight legged and rolled from my back to side. I could not feel with my hands any spots where the bag rotated (leaving the bottom uninsulated side exposed) nor could I feel any cooler air in the bag. If paired with a good underquilt like the Mt Washington (or similar degree rating) I'm hoping to get, I cant imagine not being able to take the bag all the way to its temp rating of +15. All in all I really liked how the bag stayed with me as I moved around.

Then I got out of the bag and laid in the hammock then draped the bag over me. After tucking the bag around me it again felt like a topquilt. One nice thing I found was BA bags have a hole in the sleeve at the foot end on the bottom uninsulated side to assist you in inserting a pad. I was able to stick my toes in this hole and pull the bag down and keep it from drifting off my feet. Once tucked in it worked well and I got warm. However when I would change position such as roll from back to side or fetal to straight legged it would leave open spots where my body would be exposed to air. You would either have to deal with it or constantly retuck the bag after moving which could get very annoying at night in the cold. If I had an underquilt I dont think I would want to get much cooler than 60 degrees sleeping like this. The bag is just too narrow and to many chances for exposure to the cold.

I found this bag in my short testing to work very well with my hammock when used as described in the first condition (inside the bag). Again with a underquilt of a similar rating I would feel comfortable sleeping in +15 degrees without any further testing. I really like how the bag moves with you. There is also plenty of room in this bag. It is a very large bag and weights in just over 3lbs. I will have a chance to test it next weekend on the ground on a overnighter

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    I think you are less likely to roll over in a Big Agnes bag which has the sleeping pad inserted into it because the pad makes the bag more stable.

On a side note is a down bag a bad choice for hammock use if condensation is an issue? I would imagine a hammock would have more condensation issues than a tent due to the reduced internal air volume.

Regards,

CB

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Lots of people use BA systems in hammocks. My son used a kid's BA that worked great until he outgrew it. I don't think I've ever really read anything negative about them, other than that they're a bit heavier than other options. In a BA, you roll inside the bag, leaving the pad on the bottom...unlike a normal bag/pad, where you roll the sleeping bag with you.

The only real issue is that if the bag is tight, you get air gaps along the sides b/c it doesn't drape around your body. Just get the right sized bag and this shouldn't be an issue. But this does add a bit to the weight.

Down bags are fine in hammocks. Hammocks generally have better ventilation than tents so they have fewer condensation issues.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts