Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Zeppelin
    Suspension
    StrapsBeetleBuckle

What is the temperature rating of a full length 25 inch world pad?

What is the temperature rating of a full length 25 inch world pad?
    Swinging in the air with a flair.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    As in wally world pad?......Everyone is different of course, I have been to the low 30s.. No problems..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Zeppelin
    Suspension
    StrapsBeetleBuckle
    I am trying to figure out when used with a 20 degree underquilt... I suppose 10 degrees ?

I know everyone is different. Some people sleep warmer than others. But for some sense of numbers I was trying to figure out what the rating could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Gout View Post
    As in wally world pad?......Everyone is different of course, I have been to the low 30s.. No problems..
    Swinging in the air with a flair.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brambor View Post
    I am trying to figure out when used with a 20 degree underquilt... I suppose 10 degrees ?

I know everyone is different. Some people sleep warmer than others. But for some sense of numbers I was trying to figure out what the rating could be.
    Well, I would say that if you were warm to 20 in the 20F UQ, then adding the WM pad should get you to 10F absolute minimum. Might add a lot more than 10. And, if you are warm to ( pick your temp ) 30F with the WM pad alone, that you should be also good to 10F absolute minimum. Realistically, and speaking for myself, I would expect way more added warmth than an addition 10F. Heck, I get that much added just by adding a 2 or 3 oz space blanket to a Pea Pod ( from 20 rated but warm at 10F) and probably more like 15 or 20 added by adding a space blanket to an HHSS. And it only acts as a radiant and vapor barrier. The WM pad is a VB plus provides a good bit of conductive heat loss block, the main source of heat loss, of which the space blanket provides about none.

Think of it this way. If a WM pad is good for Mountain Gout to better than 35F, then that is at least 35* worth of protection for him. 70 minus 35 = 35* of protection. Whether or not he adds an UQ to that pad, it should give him that much protection all the time.

Now, what if he is good to 20 in that 20F rated UQ, giving him 70 minus 20 = 50F worth of protection? and what if he now adds another 35F worth of protection to the total, won't that be about ( ball park for real life ) 85F total of protection? I know most folks don't want to count adding a pad as good for that much ( one reason to be discussed next paragraph). But, if a 3" thick quilt is good for you to say 20F, or 70 minus 20 = 50F worth of insulation, divided by 3 = more or less about 16.6*F protection for each inch ( single layer ) of down insulation. Now will any one deny that adding about 1 more inch of insulation will by you roughly another 16.6* of warmth? Of course it will, approximately. Hence, a 3" thick JRB MW3 is rated for ~20, while a 4" thick MW4 is rated for ~ zero, as expected.

So, if instead of adding another 20F worth of protection by adding another inch of down, you added 20F or more of protection by adding some thickness of pad, why wouldn't we expect it to work the same way. Just another form of layering.

But one caveat: there are things to go wrong with the pad effecting the quilts fit. Even more so, I suspect, with wider and maybe longer pads. So Mountain Gout should still get his warmth to the 30s laying on top of his pad. But it is not as certain that he will get another 50F of warmth ( to minus 20F ) by adding the +20F UQ. Because perfection of fit is everything with an UQ, and if that pad causes a poor fit somewhere along the quilts edges, that 20f quilt will suddenly become a 40F quilt or even a 50F. But even at 50F, you are still adding another 20* of warmth to whatever the pad gives you. Theoretically, anyway. YMMV!

Hammock
    HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow / Incubator
    Suspension
    WS, DBuckles
    So I am considering options to expand the temperature range of my gear... does anyone have experience adding a pad between the layers of a DL hammock with an UQ?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkytxn View Post
    So I am considering options to expand the temperature range of my gear... does anyone have experience adding a pad between the layers of a DL hammock with an UQ?
    I used to but used an SPE since my hammocks are single layer. It works and will get you to much lower temps.
    A UQ Protector also helps....scroll down a bit. http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/ham...cessories.html
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts