Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9 or 12
    Insulation
    UGQ under quilt
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps

need advice for a hennessey safari

I have a safari which I've only used a few times. The problem with it is that the velcro doesn't seal up when I get in. I wind up having to contort myself in all sorts of positions (I'm 6' 1" and 260 pounds, that's why I need their biggest hammock!) to seal it by hand. When I seal it by hand, it will hold, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Can anyone reccommend a quick fix? I don't want to send it back cause I've had to send my Deep Jungle back twice for repairs and I am tired of paying the shipping.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by russelj2 View Post
    I have a safari which I've only used a few times. The problem with it is that the velcro doesn't seal up when I get in. I wind up having to contort myself in all sorts of positions (I'm 6' 1" and 260 pounds, that's why I need their biggest hammock!) to seal it by hand. When I seal it by hand, it will hold, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Can anyone reccommend a quick fix? I don't want to send it back cause I've had to send my Deep Jungle back twice for repairs and I am tired of paying the shipping.
    I don't know what a quick fix would be. truth is the Velcro on my 6 yr old Explorer has not sealed up all that well since maybe it was maybe 6 mos or 1 year old. But I can usually get it sealed OK with my hands after I am in, but I rarely bother. The 1st HHs did not even have Velcro, they just depended on body weight to tension it enough to keep the bottom adequately closed. I really can't imagine any mossies getting in once I am laying down, even if I don't bother getting the Velcro nicely closed up. But I may be overly confident as I always use mine with a Super Shelter UC, which gives another entry/closure layer overlapped before a bug could even get to the Velcro opening. But especially with other bugs, and no Permethrin being used, I can see why some one else might want it Velrcoed closed.

How old is your safari? I have a fairly new ExUL and it does the same thing, and when I talked with them about it they said it might be a design change that Tom is working on. When i talked with Tom directly he didn't seem too concerned about it - which was both relieving and disturbing at the same time, but when the guy is taking his time out on a Saturday to call me directly to discuss some modifications that I needed to mine to address some physical limitations I have I didn't take it as a bad thing. He actually said pretty much the same thing BillyBob said.
    The best I can offer is, you'll figure out a way around it as you get more accustomed to the hammock
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images
    My much older Safari has a zipper not velcro to close up the bottom and it works great. It has a single line and some plastic circle rings so all i have to do is pull the same line one way or the other.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Hammock
    Currently HH
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    0*incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoop Dutch Junkie
    Frankly I sent mine to 2QZQ and had it modded with zipped bug screen and sewn bottom entry.

I don't have a quick fix for the Velcro closure. See if any gunk has clogged the sticky part and try to situate yourself so that you are on a slight diagonal. I usually hang the foot end just a bit higher than the head end and rarely have had a problem in over 10 years of using Hennessy Hammocks.

BTW, you could use an Explorer model at your height. The Explorer Deluxe weight range is OK, or the Explorer UL with a rope upgrade would be within warranty specs. Also, an Deep Jungle XL would work for your height and weight. You might consider one of these to reduce pack weight and volume in the future.

Regards,
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My velcro doesn't like to hold shut. Oh well... I can't say that causes any problems because it stays shut while I'm in it and is easier to get out of when I want to.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Late to the old thread as usual, but I was in my Safari last weekend and at one point thought I was going to have to cut my way out. The velcro was sealed up tight and I couldn't get it separated with my feet. Mine is at least two or three years old now. When I get in I just lift my feet and make sure the velcro is straight before I shift over to the diagonal and it seals up just fine. I did have to re-sew the bottom piece since the original stitching was coming undone. Funny thing is I sent it back to Hennessey to have the ridgeline fixed and totally forgot to ask them to look at the stitching on the entry. Sewed it up by hand one afternoon with it set up and haven't had any issues since.

• + New Posts