Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Images
    At the risk of sounding crass, which is not my intention, I am glad to see the photos and feel better that I went with the Superfly. I don't think I would be happy with the camo colors. They have a ways to go before that big beautiful cuben tarp starts to disappear in the woods.

Enjoy being the first and one of the few in that elite group of hammockers!

swank

Hammock
    DIY Gathered & Whipped/Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings Duh
    Yeah but it does look cool!!!!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Like it! Now I can wait and see where things go from here.

Hammock
    Currently HH
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    0*incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoop Dutch Junkie
    WOW
    can not wait to get to my mail where my package has been so patiently waiting, while i have been away for the holidays and finally get a look at my Winter Palace

In my neck of the woods it will disappear pretty darn good most of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone View Post
    WOW
    can not wait to get to my mail where my package has been so patiently waiting, while i have been away for the holidays and finally get a look at my Winter Palace

In my neck of the woods it will disappear pretty darn good most of the year.
    Better hurry up or they'll return to sender

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ok, here's a few more photos and my thoughts on it. It appears like the gray Cuben Fiber ones that they've been selling for a while, but with a couple of other colors added in. Without having one in hand to compare, I don't know if the base tint is darker or the same.

Given a choice between the regular silver and the camo, I prefer this.

One thing I don't much like is how 'shiny' the material is. It would be great if they could make it a flat material (non-reflective/less sheen). I don't know if this is possible, due to the nature of the material (it's kind of like a mylar balloon or those shiny gray anti-static bags that electronic chips come in).

I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going and what the next patterns will look like.

I winter camp more often than summer camp. I love the size of my Superfly. In fact, I'd prefer that it was a foot longer on each side, so that I didn't have to duck down as much when I have it pitched to the ground.This 4 Season one only sits about 4' off the ground. If you pitch it higher up, then the wind will be able to get under it (which kind of defeats the point of having your doors closed).

With that thought in mind (and recognizing that there is a BIG price difference), if you're considering this - I'd recommend going for the Winter Palace.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Ok, here's a few more photos and my thoughts on it. It appears like the gray Cuben Fiber ones that they've been selling for a while, but with a couple of other colors added in. Without having one in hand to compare, I don't know if the base tint is darker or the same.

Given a choice between the regular silver and the camo, I prefer this.

One thing I don't much like is how 'shiny' the material is. It would be great if they could make it a flat material (non-reflective/less sheen). I don't know if this is possible, due to the nature of the material (it's kind of like a mylar balloon or those shiny gray anti-static bags that electronic chips come in).

I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going and what the next patterns will look like.

I winter camp more often than summer camp. I love the size of my Superfly. In fact, I'd prefer that it was a foot longer on each side, so that I didn't have to duck down as much when I have it pitched to the ground.This 4 Season one only sits about 4' off the ground. If you pitch it higher up, then the wind will be able to get under it (which kind of defeats the point of having your doors closed).

With that thought in mind (and recognizing that there is a BIG price difference), if you're considering this - I'd recommend going for the Winter Palace.
    Thanks for the pics. Is it accurate to say that the camo colors are more of a reddish than brown or green?
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Jt6!&ht@jkl/2aq-6k
    Oh sorry! I was having spasms after looking at those pictures!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Kind of a reddish brown. There's also a lighter reddish brown. There is a green, which is darker than the fabric, which is kind of green. It's a four tone color.

Again, this was a limited run from another project at Cuben Fiber, so Adam only got what was left. He's getting more samples in the next month and then he hopes to lock down a regular supply of some kind.

As far as the tarp itself, I am very impressed with the quality of the workmanship. One thing that's kind of odd is the weight. You know how when you heft an object and you can tell the quality by the weight? This feels counterintuitive. It feels like a few grocery bags in weight. Which is why its such an amazing material.

Some more info: It can hold tens of thousands of pounds of pressure when used as sail material (It started as the secret weapon on the America's Cup series and then moved into sails/windsurfing/kites). North Sails purchased the rights to the material (I used to use windsurfing sails built by them). According to Wikipedia, "Cubic Tech Corporation has the exclusive rights to develop and sell "Cuben Fiber" type laminates for all non-sailing applications".
    Last edited by Boomer; 01-12-2013 at 01:14.

Hammock
    HH, ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OP nylon thingy
    Insulation
    JRB nest S2S MCII
    Suspension
    treehuggers, rings
    Thanks for posting the pics! I really hope He can work out a steady supply of the camo cuben because I want one in a big way. Been waiting to upgrade my tarp an now i know what I was waiting for Stormcrow, you are the man!
    You don't want to die? Thats easy. Don't fail
    -Dan Osman

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast