Hammock
    1.1 DL WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    WB Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies

First Hang, 2 nights 28 degrees 1.5 in of rain. Help!

So I'm planning my first real hike and hang this coming weekend. Doing an easy three day two night 15 mile hike. The issue comes to the weather. The forecast is saying it will be as low as 28 degrees F with a 70% chance of rain, up to 1.5 inches worth. My current gear is a double layer WBBB, A WB winter Yeti, a WB MamaJama, and a sleeping bag rated down to I believe 40 degrees. What do you guys recommend I try and do as far as setting up the tarp and things?

I am planning on bringing thermal underwear and a couple of shirts to layer up, and possibly a fairly bulky but warm fleece blanket. Do you think a simple space blanket in between the layers of the hammock under my legs will help? Or should I steal my wife's yoga mat to use as a pad? I have a tight budget, but I don't want that to make me freeze all night.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Hammock
    OX Gear
    Tarp
    OX Shed
    Insulation
    Custom m50 HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well I brought my 3/4 20 degree HG UQ down to 38 easily without a pad at my feet. My feet were in my mummy bag foot box and plenty warm.
    Im thinking at that temp (28) I would look at bringing a small pad for my legs.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    You are going to have an adventure!
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

yoga mat between the layers of the hammock sounds like a good plan to me.

Images
    So I see no problem with the gear you have, just a good time, assuming you can keep everything in your pack dry while hiking. There are threads around here bout how to use a garbage bag or trash compacter bag as a pack liner, and or dry bags and or other tricks, just be sure you have all of that down pat.

As for your legs and feet, if you sleep in thick dry pants and socks, you might be OK with nothing or with that space blanket. Many people get by with surprisingly little under their legs as long as the top end is plenty warm. Or you may need more. What about your pack, any kind of insulating pad in that? Extra clothes that you can put under your legs or in your pack then under your legs?

If your willing to spend even a few $, buy a WM blue pad, and take the entire thing or cut it down to leg only size. That is a lot of bang for the buck.

Keep your tarp where you can get to it without having to expose the rest of your pack to water. Then just take your time and put your tarp up. When that is up and pitched tight the way you want it, hopefully in a way that will block the wind, you are golden. Get under it. Take a break if needed and even eat a snack and make a hot drink if cold, sitting on that cut down WM pad you just bought. When you are ready take your time ( who cares if it is blowing and carrying on, you are under your tarp! ) and put your hammock and UQ up!

Once you get the tarp up, it's all pretty easy from there, and getting the tarp up should not be hard if you have practiced with it. If there are nearby trees, roots or bushes, you may want to skip some of the stakes and just tie the tarp to some of those. They ain't likely to pull out of soaked ground on you when the wind really howls. Have fun, this will be an adventure!

PS:
    So you have a 40F bag and it is going to be a wet 28F? Just take some layers that you can keep dry and sleep in. A couple of good warm layers, along with plenty of head insulation( very important ) should get that bag down 10 or 20F lower than it's rating. Do you have a down or synthetic hooded Parka? Some nice thick fleece and a down vest? And something warm for your legs?

One final caveat as you seem concerned: especially as it is going to be so wet, avoid cotton as much as possible (think blue jeans and sweat shirts etc). If it gets even slightly damp, it will cool you down all night and day as your body heat tries to dry it ( evaporative and conductive cooling). And if it gets wet at all, you probably won't be able to dry it. As much as possible, use polyester or other synthetic or wool clothing. And keep that down UQ ( and bag? ) DRY! Make sure above all else you will be able to do that.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-05-2012 at 16:40.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Make sure to protect your hands with good waterproof gloves or mitts while hiking....especially if you use hiking poles. Cold wet rain is a challenge.
    Set tarp first........
    Winter Yeti should keep you warm enough. Pad under the feet should do. Yoga mats are a bit heavy.....
    Have dry camp clothes.
    Drink hot drinks and stay warm.
    Have some fun and eat well.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I slept in similar temps about a month ago and found that putting a piece of insulbright between the layers of the hammock made a noticeable difference. It's pretty cheap and you can find it at some fabric stores or Amazon. Make sure you have your tarp set up to block as much of the wind as possible. My first night my feet got a bit cool because the wind got at them.

Hammock
    BB 1.7DL w/dutch
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TOP&BOTTOM
    Suspension
    DUTCH & WHOOPIES
    I would recommend you bring a poncho to use for the hikes, and also as a UQ cover in case rain blows in under the tarp..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So I see no problem with the gear you have, just a good time, assuming you can keep everything in your pack dry while hiking. There are threads around here bout how to use a garbage bag or trash compacter bag as a pack liner, and or dry bags and or other tricks, just be sure you have all of that down pat.

As for your legs and feet, if you sleep in thick dry pants and socks, you might be OK with nothing or with that space blanket. Many people get by with surprisingly little under their legs as long as the top end is plenty warm. Or you may need more. What about your pack, any kind of insulating pad in that? Extra clothes that you can put under your legs or in your pack then under your legs?

If your willing to spend even a few $, buy a WM blue pad, and take the entire thing or cut it down to leg only size. That is a lot of bang for the buck.

Keep your tarp where you can get to it without having to expose the rest of your pack to water. Then just take your time and put your tarp up. When that is up and pitched tight the way you want it, hopefully in a way that will block the wind, you are golden. Get under it. Take a break if needed and even eat a snack and make a hot drink if cold, sitting on that cut down WM pad you just bought. When you are ready take your time ( who cares if it is blowing and carrying on, you are under your tarp! ) and put your hammock and UQ up!

Once you get the tarp up, it's all pretty easy from there, and getting the tarp up should not be hard if you have practiced with it. If there are nearby trees, roots or bushes, you may want to skip some of the stakes and just tie the tarp to some of those. They ain't likely to pull out of soaked ground on you when the wind really howls. Have fun, this will be an adventure!

PS:
    So you have a 40F bag and it is going to be a wet 28F? Just take some layers that you can keep dry and sleep in. A couple of good warm layers, along with plenty of head insulation( very important ) should get that bag down 10 or 20F lower than it's rating. Do you have a down or synthetic hooded Parka? Some nice thick fleece and a down vest? And something warm for your legs?

One final caveat as you seem concerned: especially as it is going to be so wet, avoid cotton as much as possible (think blue jeans and sweat shirts etc). If it gets even slightly damp, it will cool you down all night and day as your body heat tries to dry it ( evaporative and conductive cooling). And if it gets wet at all, you probably won't be able to dry it. As much as possible, use polyester or other synthetic or wool clothing. And keep that down UQ ( and bag? ) DRY! Make sure above all else you will be able to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Make sure to protect your hands with good waterproof gloves or mitts while hiking....especially if you use hiking poles. Cold wet rain is a challenge.
    Set tarp first........
    Winter Yeti should keep you warm enough. Pad under the feet should do. Yoga mats are a bit heavy.....
    Have dry camp clothes.
    Drink hot drinks and stay warm.
    Have some fun and eat well.
    Shug
    Best advice ever. Nothing to add but don't forget your camera. Remember the HF motto "Picts or it didn't happen" have a great time.

Hammock
    HH Exp Deluxe / DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    If you have pack space and weight to spare, I would take the yoga mat. A cold night is a miserable night, or as a friend says, character building. Once you have that all in place you can place something in the foot box of the sleeping bag as others have suggested.

Above all else, have fun.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast