DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    I'm new to this sewing thing to. I do.t want to hijack the thread, ha ha, but can anyone tell me how to make a button hole? The machine is 20 something plus yrs.with no setting for it.
    Some machines had built in buttonhole features, other require a separate attachment to make bound buttonholes.

The only way to find out is to have to do that dreaded thing and read the operating manual for it ..

If there's no instructions in the book for how to do it, it's safe to assume that you need an attachment.

If you don't have the manual for the machine, you can usually find them online as pdf files.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Read the owners manuel. Thanks. I'll do a search. I think its a Brother, or something I neverheard of.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    Read the owners manuel. Thanks. I'll do a search. I think its a Brother, or something I neverheard of.
    If the machine has an adjustable zigzag buttonholes are easy. Set each side of the buttonhole to the appropriate side of the zigzag needle. Do one direction, switch sides on the zig zag and go the other way. Don't move the fabric, just the needle position. Small bar tacks on each end help strengthen the hole when it is cut.

If you only have a straight stitch then you need to do either a machine bound buttonhole or a welt buttonhole. Those are harder to describe. I am working ion getting a vid done to demonstrate the buttonhole with only a straight stitch.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I'm with those advising you to check the thread routing very carefully to be sure both the upper and lower threading is correct and the bobbin is inserted correctly.

What make and model is your machine? It could be important for giving more than general advice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    At least one of the thread tensions is way off.

Double check to make sure that the bobbin is inserted properly and that the bobbin thread is being fed out of the bobbin properly - not filling the bobbin correctly can throw the tension off in it.

Then check to make sure that you're threading the machine properly including making sure that you have the needle in the machine correctly.

One of the easiest way to find if you need to adjust the tension is to thread the machine with two different colour threads - one top and one bottom. Use two pieces of light coloured scrap or at least not the same colours as the thread. Set the thread length on 8 to 10 stitches per inch and run a straight line of stitching. The two threads should meet in the middle between the two layers of fabric.

Once you have the tension set on your machine you should rarely have to move it.
    This is a great idea.

Both top and bottom tensions are adjustable. Don't be afraid of adjusting the bottom tension. But don't change the bobbin tension out of desperation, find the problem. You can also sew by turning the wheel by hand and watching closely. My take on your photo is that the tension spring that takes up the slack on the top thread is either bypassed or broken. Post a picture of your machine with thread in it from the top tension adjuster to the needle.

I can think of reasons to adjust the bobbin thread resistance. Since the overlock of thread should be pulled into the fabric layers, as you increase fabric thickness and layers, you might wish to increase bobbin tension. This increase in bottom thread tension will need to be counteracted by increased top thread tension. This can cause broken threads, thread fraying etc if you try to do this on a home machine that cannot handle these thread tensions. I use this as an extreme example.

On the other hand, you might be sewing a very light fabric. In order to avoid puckering of the fabric, or even drawing the thread up in the fabric, you may wish to lessen the bobbin tension, with a corresponding decrease in top thread tension.

At any rate, I would recommend that you get to know the tension on your bobbin carrier. If you know how much effort it takes to pull out thread when the bobbin is loaded and in the carrier, and it changes noticeably, then find the reason.

Hammock
    WL Snipe/Modded ENO DN
    Tarp
    SOOPAFLY/WLTadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 3/4 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    Here's the Machine I have. Didn't realize it was the Walmart El Cheapo special. I'll double check the bobbin tomorrow. Re-wind it and see if I can't figure out the issue based on your guys advice. Thanks again!

http://http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewing/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=XL2600i#.UKXMPY69K0c
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence."-Robert Frost

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    How old is the machine and did you buy it new or is it a hand me down that's been sitting around. These cheaper machines are subject to extreme wear and tear from cheaper parts in critical places. The tensioning disks could be scored from use. With cheap materials it is doesn't take much to wear them beyond function. The tension spring could have weakened or broken. Use of heavy threads will increase that wear because there is simply more abrasion from a heavier thread. Poly threads are harder and more abrasive than cotton poly blends often used in garment construction. If the machine is more than a few years old or has been sitting in someones closet for for an extended time I wouldn't chase my tail too long trying to get it to work right. I would suggest a machine that is built for a heavier duty cycle.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WL Snipe/Modded ENO DN
    Tarp
    SOOPAFLY/WLTadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 3/4 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    Ok Guys I got it! I was just not loading the bobbin in correctly. I was missing the tension spring! OOOOPS! Learning curve. I did have to dial the tension as far as it goes. I think the thread I bought is pushing the limits of my crap machine. Curios what tread you all are using for you projects? The stuff I got is some polyester thread that was labeled as outdoor . I think it may be a bit overkill.
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence."-Robert Frost

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    Does anyone here go to one of those ladies' "sewing circle" groups? Sounds like an excellent way to meet girls...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast