Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    I made a fixed RL on mine, and slipped the suspension through the loops I made. The loops are too small to slide over the gathered ends, but can rotate around the suspension lines in case the hammock gets twisted up in packing/unpacking.

Sounds like a good way to avoid working on the loops again.
    I would have done the exact same thing.

I've skimmed most of this thread, forgive me if I missed such a discussion before, but...

Has anyone found a source of suitable cheap taffeta tablecloths outside of USA?

I'm in Australia. Basic freight of a single $10 tablecloth from Tableclothsfactory.com is $48.50. That puts a hole in the economies of making tablecloth hammocks :-/

One would assume that TCF are getting their products out of China. Freight to Australia from China is usually ridiculously cheap. Just need to find a source...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
    I've skimmed most of this thread, forgive me if I missed such a discussion before, but...

Has anyone found a source of suitable cheap taffeta tablecloths outside of USA?

I'm in Australia. Basic freight of a single $10 tablecloth from Tableclothsfactory.com is $48.50. That puts a hole in the economies of making tablecloth hammocks :-/

One would assume that TCF are getting their products out of China. Freight to Australia from China is usually ridiculously cheap. Just need to find a source...
    Taffeta is very stretchy and prone to ripping in my experience. If you're looking at $30-$50 for getting that shipped, then just get regular ripstop from the fabric store and enjoy the better result.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Taffeta is very stretchy and prone to ripping in my experience. If you're looking at $30-$50 for getting that shipped, then just get regular ripstop from the fabric store and enjoy the better result.
    Yeah, I've done that too.
    But paying the "Australia Tax" again. Basic Ripstop that you guys pay $1/yd for from Walmart... costs about A$9/m here (so about US$6/yd). I did a channel-end hammock out of that, and it's alright for A$35 and a bit of sewing, but it still makes me cry when I can get a finished taffeta hammock for $10 from Amazon or eBay (albeit only 80% as long as we'd like).

I'm not seriously considering paying $60 for a $10 piece of fabric. Unless there's a source that doesn't involve US freight, the project is dead in the water. I'm just looking for a source of cheap fabric to play with, so freight from USA isn't an option.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
    Yeah, I've done that too.
    But paying the "Australia Tax" again. Basic Ripstop that you guys pay $1/yd for from Walmart... costs about A$9/m here (so about US$6/yd). I did a channel-end hammock out of that, and it's alright for A$35 and a bit of sewing, but it still makes me cry when I can get a finished taffeta hammock for $10 from Amazon or eBay (albeit only 80% as long as we'd like)..

I'm not seriously considering paying $60 for a $10 piece of fabric. Unless there's a source that doesn't involve US freight, the project is dead in the water. I'm just looking for a source of cheap fabric to play with, so freight from USA isn't an option.
    $6 USD per yard is about what I pay from a fabric store if there is a coupon, so that sounds normal. $1 Walmart fabric does exist, but these are factory runoffs and are not usually available. When they are, it is in random colors and small quantities. I have only got lucky with this once.

Between the two sources, I prefer the classic ripstop over the taffeta by a wide margin.

Hammock
    HH Safari Zip
    Tarp
    Sil Nylon Hex
    Insulation
    Ghetto UQ/Crappy T
    Suspension
    Built-in

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    I just thought I'd take a few minutes to try and explain how I make my tablecloth hammocks. There are lots of great ways to go about this. This is just how I do it. Hopefully someone can use some of this information.

I use the 60x126 Crinkle Taffeta. I've made some with the larger table cloths, but this is the size that I like the best.

Here's a link to where I order mine: http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/ta...shes-s/132.htm

The tablecloths come to me like this.

I find one of the short sides and just start folding it on itself (like an accordian). When I've folded the entire side I pull the outer edges about 2" out from the rest.

For the whipping I use amsteel, but you could use just about anything I would think. I fold it over and then just start wrapping it around itself. I like to get this as tight as I can. Once I've done about 10 to 12 wraps I stick the end through the loop that I have left and pull the other end until the loop goes up into the whipping about halfway. Then I just cut the ends to make things look pretty.

At this point you could just throw some suspension on it and be done, but I like to add the knotty mod to mine, and since it's so easy, I don't see any reason "k"not to (a little rope humor there)

The tablecloth comes with a perfect hem all the way around it. I just use this hem as the channel for my shock cord. I use a small nail, but you could use just about anything that would make a hole about the size you need. I put one hole about 18" from the end of the hammock and another hole about 3' from that. I thread the shock cord through and attach a cord lock to the side that will be closest to me while I'm in the hammock. On the other end I just tie a couple of simple knots to keep it from slipping through the hole. You could use another cord lock here, but I don't see the need.

After that I just slap some whoopies on it and I'm ready to hang out!

These things really do make great hammocks. They are very easy to make and I feel the comfort rivals those that you could pay much much more for. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to post them here, or pm me. I'll do my best to help out.
    Is it possible to have the pictures reposted, or otherwise shown again? I'd like to follow the tutorial, but the pictures were missing...

*Edit* now it looks like they're showing up again. Do I need to be logged in to see them?

Hammock
    ENO Jungle
    Tarp
    ENO pro Fly
    Insulation
    Therm-a-rest 3/4
    Suspension
    straps and whoopie
    Images
    I did 60x126 two years ago, just zip tie in the hem of the tablecloth to gather up and larkshead a whoopie loop. I'm starting to see some wear and stretch as the tablecloth is aging.88DE6C81-C50D-4923-A7A5-B70AF44FFA59.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718