View Poll Results: Which underquilt would you choose and why? [multiple choices available]

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3/4 20*

49 40.16%
  • 3/4 0*

9 7.38%
  • FL 20*

44 36.07%
  • FL 0*

28 22.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    Personally I hate the cold. Full length all-the-way for that reason alone.

As to the temp range, well that depends on how warm/cold you sleep, where you're gonna sleep and how often you're gonna sleep there.

I like being warmer than I do colder, again, I hate the cold. I would rather have to wake up to vent than wake up shivering or clamoring for every extra 'anything' for insulation to help keep me warm.

Are you going to be sleeping in the cold often, or just often enough that you could bring warmer clothing?
    Is weight a concern? If not then the extra few ounces of insulation between the 0/20 may not matter, then again it might be completely wasted if you never need it.

If it were me, and I was planning on sleeping in cold places often I would buy the full/0.
    I agree, i dont mind dealing with gettin to hot(which hasnt happened yet), but i dont like any part of gettin cold. I myself am making a pod system. It has gottin to 32 so far but needs a vapor barrier for the wind.
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

Images
    1st off, before giving an opinion on which you should get, or which we would get, what kind of temps are you looking at using it in, what range? Will you ever go below 20F? Or, even below 30F?

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I have 2 UQ, both 20 deg, 1 is full length, the other 3/4. I use the 3/4 for temps between 40 and 65. The full length for colder. And if it gets real cold, I am going to use both. Haven't had the chance to try it yet, but maybe this year I will.

I don't want to use a pad, so the full length was the first UQ, then the next year,(or rather last year) I got the 3/4. Boy, that sure was a nice X-Mas.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Sorry guys I left out an important detail, this is not for guam, more of when I travel to nontropical places like Japan this coming February in the mountains. My target range is somewhere in the neighborhood of45* down to 0 i guess. My pluq will take place of a winter quilt other times. I hope this clears up any confusion. Thanks for all the replies so far...
    Last edited by Fish<><; 11-17-2012 at 13:02.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    I just ordered the HG Incubator 0 degree. I had the same question and Adam gave me some great pointers. He informed me that 0 degree UQ can be used spring fall and winter without any problem based on how you hang it. I felt that I would rather have something that will go down to 0 degrees and hang it a little looser if it warms up than have a 20 and need more insulation. So with all that, I went with the full length, 0 because I too try to spend my money wisely and do not like anything more than I have to have in the hammock. And I hope you do not feel I was plugging HG just letting you know what I went with
    No worries on the plug, in my op I was saying that more for the "go with HG and you won't go wrong" type of thing. Your particular post has gotten me to thinking positively towards my gut, and hopefully a decision in time for Xmas...just waiting on more thoughts on the subject after a little clarification on my end... Thanks...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    It's usually cold at night around here. 40's in the summer is common. I will be changing out to all 0* quilts. Have a 20* top quilt, but I'm a very cold sleeper, so I'm a bit too cool in the 30's. Got a 40* UQ and planned to supplement that with a quilt protector and a pad. Love the protector - pad sux.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    No worries on the plug, in my op I was saying that more for the "go with HG and you won't go wrong" type of thing. Your particular post has gotten me to thinking positively towards my gut, and hopefully a decision in time for Xmas...just waiting on more thoughts on the subject after a little clarification on my end... Thanks...
    It was a difficult decision for me, I have a DIY that I made that gets me to about 40 Degrees so I just did not want to have 3 or 4 UQ. He assured me I would be happy with the zero. He can explain alot better than me LOL! I know he and alot of other companies are running some nice sales coming up for Christmas so good luck with whatever you go with.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    If you are going anywhere near 0* you should get the Full length 0. Just my opinion but I could make due with 2 quilts, a 0 and a 40, that would cover all my needs. I can use my 0 all the way up to 40 and then the other quilt would cover the rest.

S

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Another question though. Considering the coldest weather I have slept in was around 20*(I used a synthetic sleeping bag to wrap up in), could I actually go to 0 in a zero uq and tq? Or would I have to use a pad as well?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ &amp; UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I'd get the full lenght 20F and use a pad with it if I wanted to go colder, but most of the camping I do it's above 20F.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast