MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images

42 deg fog test

Alright!
    Headed out last night to a local campground that has trees to try out all the various things I've been working on. This was my first night actually sleeping in a hammock and it was fab!
    According to my cheapie thermometer it was about 42 degrees F just before sunrise. When I retired for the night it was 45. It was calm and there was some fog, although not very dense.
    I decided to not worry about the fog too much and it was not really a problem. (I'd posted before about the fog http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6265) If I were staying out several nights, I'd hope for a nice long sunshiny section at a rest break to get the quilts totally dry.
    I stayed warm and cozy all night so that was a good thing. Soooooo comfortable!

I've set up my generic eno-type double hammock with a ridgeline, descender rings as cinch buckles, recycled tie-down straps for treehuggers and threw some silnyl 'skins on it for fun.
    I used a truly ugly homemade silnyl tarp in an edges-to-the-ground Aframe config. That was in mesh 'skins.
    For a top "quilt" I used my Marmot arroyo bag, unzipped.

For underquilts I started off with my old-down-mummy bag-into-bottom-quilt-thing. (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=5833) It did not work as well as I'd hoped but it was not totally useless. I'd also brought along my homemade quilt (2 layers 3oz primaloft sport in 1.1oz ripstop) to which I had added head and foot drawstrings and tabs for hanging it as an underquilt.
    I had a persistent cold spot under my shoulders and I felt that I could not tighten up the suspension for the down UQ anymore. (risking Pop! Spraaaaang!) It was pretty cool to be able to lie in the hammock and still be able to stick my hands between the hammock and the UQ to feel for gaps.
    I added the Primaloft UQ between the down UQ and the hammock (by threading the suspension shockcord through both sets of hanging tabs). This just pointed out to me how badly the down quilt sagged down and how well the Primaloft one fit the bottom of the hammock.
    Pondering this problem for a while I realized that I could just grab the stack of underquilts and flip them right over, making the well-behaved Primaloft quilt the bottom layer which would help the down quilt stay closer to the hammock. Perfect! I was able to reach round underneath and strategically fluff up the down to get rid of the cold spot.
    The first major new purchase (which will not be right away, worse luck) will be a proper underquilt. I realized looking at the difference in loft, weight, fabric between my new marmot bag and the old former Gerry mummy bag how much technology has advanced. If only, I thought to myself, my down UQ were more like that Marmot ...
    The next thing to figure out is how cold I can go with just the Primaloft underquilt.

I lay there in my wonderfully warm nest and started thinking about how much of the tarp was serving no useful purpose (other then to make it difficult to get in and out) and how if it were just a liiiiiiiiiiitle bit longer it would be perfect. My imaginary tarp shape looked an awful lot like a MacCat. So I'll eventually replace this tarp with a MacCat deluxe.

The 'skins for tarp and hammock are totally worth the ozs because of how much easier they make setup/teardown.

Things I'll change:
    I tried using my Big Agnes insulated air core mummy pad, half inflated, between me and the hammock. Bah! What a pain! Noisy, wiggly, insufficiently wide for side sleeping. Sometime in the middle of all the underquilt wrangling I tossed it over the side. Buh bye!
    I'd rather carry a heavier underquilt. I might try a double-layer hammock and some kind of foam sheet in the summer. Just to see if I like it.

Decided that it was not that my nifty gear-loft hung too low, it was that my ridgeline was just a little bit too long. After I'd had breakfast, I took down the tarp, packed up the quilts and started playing around with the hammock ridgeline length. With a shorter ridgeline the gear hammock would not be whacking me in the knees when I turned over at night.
    The shorter ridgeline would also put the walls of the tarp farther away from me - a good thing.

I also tried a different set of trees this morning just for fun. My original set were about as close together as they could be and the second set were as far apart as my tree-huggers would reach. I'm glad my tree-huggers were not any longer because I'd have had to have climbed the tree to get them any higher. Instructive. (can you dig all verbs in that sentence?!)
    I liked having the treetrunks serve as 'walls' for the shelter but it was a little awkward scooting out in the middle of the night. The shorter ridgeline will help with this also by raising the tarp relative to the hammock

Tyvek makes a lousy foot-mat. Slippery! Must reconsider this.

I am going to 'spend' the ozs and get some Croc clogs for around camp. Getting back in my shoes - even unlaced - for midnight excursions was a pain!

thaaaaaaaaaaat's all folks!

liz

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Congratulations, eay!!
    I'm glad your first hang turned out pretty well for you! That must have been very exciting!

good going!
    Perkolady

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nice report and glad it was a positive first night in the hammock!

Grizz gave me this link a while back and I've been using it since for weather readings. My cheapo digital thermometer is worthless below about 15F; great site. You can dig around and find weather stations close to where you were and get readings every few minutes. Just take a watch and if you wake-up cold, make note of the time. When you get home you can see what the temps/wind/humidity were when you woke up. Really helps with setting those 'personal tolerances'.

Again, nice report!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Nice report and glad it was a positive first night in the hammock!
    Grizz gave me this link a while back and I've been using it since for weather readings.
    Oh yeah! I use that site all the time. The closest PWS (personal weather station) to where I camped was on the fritz, but the next nearest one agreed with my cheap thermometer.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I resisted crocs for quite a while, but then got some cheapie knock-offs. Now I don't know how I left home without 'em. Once I got snake skins, feel the same way about them. Maybe when you get crocs you won't slip on Tyvek???

Congratulations on your first hang! May you have many many more.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Yes, congrats on your first hangout!

I agree about Crocs. For a while I didn't like them, wouldn't wear them, thought they were very ugly... BUT I got some for Father's Day, and now I wear them all the time. Very light and comfortable. They're also great for walking around in rivers and streams.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The foot bed on the crocs bothers my feet, but I have a pair of cheapo wanna-bes that I wear a lot.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Crocs rock!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eay View Post
    Alright!
    The first major new purchase (which will not be right away, worse luck) will be a proper underquilt. I realized looking at the difference in loft, weight, fabric between my new marmot bag and the old former Gerry mummy bag how much technology has advanced. If only, I thought to myself, my down UQ were more like that Marmot ... ......................

liz
    If you can find some Christmas money, check out the wearable quilt ( can be used as UQ or top Q or worn) at JRB
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Wearable%20Quilts.htm

Fantastic prices on excellent quilts! But good for just a few days. I think Speer also has a good sale on Snugfits and PeaPods, but that will cost a bit more even after sale reduction. Great gear, though!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    If you can find some Christmas money, check out the wearable quilt ( can be used as UQ or top Q or worn) at JRB
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Wearable%20Quilts.htm

Fantastic prices on excellent quilts! But good for just a few days. I think Speer also has a good sale on Snugfits and PeaPods,
    I've got my eye on a no sniveller from JRB and a snugfit from Speers. At least at this moment.

Heat is off at home (not too awful - pipes won't freeze or anything) but I do wish I was back in my hammock! Was warmer!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast