Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suspension

Images
    You will likely end up trying them all. I have been on the crappy Eno pro straps, tree huggers, climbing webbing, marlin spikes, carabiners, and I am now on "what works for me" all straps carabiners and cinch buckles. This will change next week when I receive my Dutch clips, I will ditch the carabiners, for now...

My suggestion start with straps and buckles, keep reading and posting and you will be able to pick up some whoopieson the PIF page. Then just keep buying the other pieces as you can, because in all likelihood you will end up with all of them before settling on works best for you.

The only thing I know I don't like are marlin spikes. So let me know when you go that route and I will PIF you my toggles! Just PM your address, I'll jump start the madness!

swank

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I started with straps and buckles (that came on my blackbird).

Soon thereafter, I moved to tree huggers with whoopies larksheaded around that and then a whoopie hook attached to the small loop larksheaded around the end of the hammock, like the picture below, from dutchwaregear.com. For me, it's still dead simple (just as easy as the strap/buckle for me), but provides lots of easy adjustment, fast setup (the marlin spike hitch takes just a bit more time) and allows me to store the straps separate from the hammock, keeping any rain and sap that gets on the suspension off of things (when you do just the straps/buckles, you usually have to store it all together).

Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Im sold on Whoopies and marlin spike hitch with dutch clips on my webbing tree straps, I find it simple and a fast set up. And very light. Was in a bad rain storm a few weeks back and I threw my tarp up and it was so nice to be able to quickly and easily slip out and dutch clip my tree straps up, Throw in a marlin spike hitch and pull it under tarp and slip the whoopies into place. I have tried other rigs and this one is my choice hands down. Have fun experimenting!! Thats one of the things I love about hammocking!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Single line suspenions are basically giant whoopies.

The only objection to them was pitching the tarp on my nose. My solution so far is fiddly but works to provide 32" of breezy gap between the tarp ridge line part and the structural ridge line of the hammock.

But now it is cool-cold-frigid and breeze is not what we'd want so an olddog-style giant 1/8" Amsteel whoopie with buried loops seems to me the best of all worlds for ease of pitching and light weight.

Mike

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I use straps and buckle in Winter, whoopies the rest of the year.

S

Thanks to fallkniven for sending me some whoopie slings. I ran them through the bottom of my hammock a single time through adjustable end through the fixed eye. Don't think here was enough room to run them through twice. I have to say this stuff is light and thin. I was really worried that the thin diameter would rip the hammock apart from the tension under weight on the thin string and that it actually held my weight! I'm 208lbs. I'm taking some straps from old ratchet straps removing the ratchet and tying a figure 8 in one end and marlin spike the other and see how things go. I'll let you guys know I really appreciate the info.

I have to say now that I've held the slings in my hand the videos make more sense. I think it would be relatively easy to make soft shackles, continuous loops, and slings much cheaper than buying them. Does anyone recommend a supplier? Tis is what I found, is this a good deal? http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...1#.UKq3Xny9KSO

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by edge308 View Post
    I have to say now that I've held the slings in my hand the videos make more sense. I think it would be relatively easy to make soft shackles, continuous loops, and slings much cheaper than buying them. Does anyone recommend a supplier? Tis is what I found, is this a good deal? http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...1#.UKq3Xny9KSO
    Redden is a bit cheaper, fast delivery, and you get a discount with the code "hammockforums." http://www.reddenmarine.com/

Look under rope & cordage and then all-purpose.

Mike

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12