Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post
    Seems like Backpacker has been changing over the last couple of years. Anybody else noticed a change in style/content over their content 5 years ago?
    That seems to be the problem, there doesn't seem to be any. More of an expensive book of ads that you have to pay to read.

Still, there are a few nuggets from time to time and most of their reviews seem to be pretty good...mostly. Probably happened as soon as it became part of the Rodale Press family.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post
    Anybody else noticed a change in style/content over their content 5 years ago?
    I haven't been reading it for 5 years, but I've noticed a difference since they moved to Boulder, CO. I think some editor changes were made if not ownership. I wouldn't pay for it anymore, but since others have bought me a subscription, I still read it when I'm on "the John". Good thing to because half of what they say should be deposited in that same fixture!

Images
    Regardless of the quality/lack of quality of any other literature, "A Walk in the Woods" is a hilarious read. About ten, or so, years ago, my wife joined me for an annual company meeting in Savannah, GA. My son, DougTheYounger, at that time in high school, was in the ajoining room. He had picked up a copy of "A Walk in the Woods" and kept us awake all night with his hilarious laughter as he read the book cover-to-cover that night. Several weeks later, I read the book. I could not but help see parts of myself and some of my friends in the characters in the book. I would recommend the book to any one who loves the outdoors, can look at themselves without taking themselves too seriously, and who has even a miniscule amount of sense of humor. If you haven't already done it, do something good for yourself...read this book. It will make you a better person which will be good for those around you.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    That seems to be the problem, there doesn't seem to be any. More of an expensive book of ads that you have to pay to read.

Still, there are a few nuggets from time to time and most of their reviews seem to be pretty good...mostly. Probably happened as soon as it became part of the Rodale Press family.
    That's my thing. And every review is positive. You figure out off all of the gear there would be one that they would say sucks. Don't waste your money. But then they wouldn't get money to advertise that product.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I read the book a few years back and remember it to be quite funny. Good thing my memory is poor and I'll be able to enjoy it again . As for Backpacker mag, sometimes there are some good articles and places that I would like to visit. A couple of months ago it was all about survival. It's amazing that I've made it this long. Now I don't know how everyone else feels, but when I go backpacking it does not seem like a survival experience, rather more like a relaxing and enjoyable trip. I must be Mr. Magoo in the woods.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    I must be Mr. Magoo in the woods.
    That's funny. . You and me both.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    I enjoyed "A Walk in the Woods" and just finished another Bryce book - "In a Sunburned Country". It's a good travel book about Australia that is as funny as "AWitW". The best part is Bryce weaves in a lot of history about the different parts of Australia but keeps it lighthearted and moving. Definitely some good light, and enlightening, reading.

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Read Walk in the Woods shortly after it came out. Early parts were Twain funny on personalities and self deceptions, misunderstandings, assumptions and the woman who 'knew' everything. Got bored midway about when Bill did too.

A few months ago some one gave me his Thunderbolt Kid ... lasted about 15 pages.

If BP picked WITW as best 'true' adventure book ever, their head is where it's been since about 1985 or so.

There are thousands of books by and about explorers and adventurers who are thrilling and more interesting:

Many climbing expedition books

Undaunted Courage is excellent

Two of my top 30 or so favorites are

'Kabloona' by De Poncins, also includes extraordinary! insight into another culture.

'The Long Walk' forget the author. Escape from WW2 prison to travel thousands of miles including Himilaya.

I'd love to read some of my favorites for the first time again.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Thanks for the headsup

Thank you riverkeeper for the heads up on the good books! The long walk was written by Slavomir Rawicz and can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Walk-True.../dp/1558216847

I am going to look into getting some of those. Kabloona sounds good too!

On a side note, when I was searching for "The long walk" I came across a Stephen King book of the same title....wow. It is not really hiking but looks like an interesting read to say the least!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Walk

Adam

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Stormcrow you are very welcome.

Try a good library too....I mostly buy then give books to whomever seems appropriate.

You can probably now tell I enjoy true adventure books where overcoming astonishing mental and physical outdoor difficulty is central.

Best.
    Last edited by riverkeeper; 12-05-2008 at 16:14.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast