Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Could you remind me what thickness CCF you are using when expecting below zero temps? Do you use a thinner section under the legs, or is it all the same thickness. I have only done ~ 18F with CCF pads, but it was one full length Riderest ( 5/8" ?) plus a torso length "Ultralight" inflatable stacked on top in an SPE. Toasty!
    For subzero, I use 2 different ones. The wide walmart waffle blue and a section of the stiffer walmart blue pad cut to fit the width for my torso. Not sure of their actual thickness 1/2 and 3/8 I think. I also hang my poncho underneath as an extra windblock and put my pack liner garbage bag in it as a garlington insulator. I sometimes add in the sunshade reflector pad for the years when I haven't gotten accustomed to the cold yet. If the temp is expected to be significantly below zero, I may bring an additional 3/8 ccf for ease of mind as -20 is nothing to mess around with especially when on a solo trip 5 miles in. CCF is bulky but light.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    He also has used an HH Super Shelter way below zero in high winds with just the one HH pad. I think he is pretty warm natured!
    I think you're right lol
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    For subzero, I use 2 different ones. The wide walmart waffle blue and a section of the stiffer walmart blue pad cut to fit the width for my torso. Not sure of their actual thickness 1/2 and 3/8 I think. I also hang my poncho underneath as an extra windblock and put my pack liner garbage bag in it as a garlington insulator. I sometimes add in the sunshade reflector pad for the years when I haven't gotten accustomed to the cold yet. If the temp is expected to be significantly below zero, I may bring an additional 3/8 ccf for ease of mind as -20 is nothing to mess around with especially when on a solo trip 5 miles in. CCF is bulky but light.
    So, maybe 1 3/8 or a little less - plus maybe a Poncho/GI/sunshade? Wonder if you could do zero or 10F with just 1" of CCF? Probably for sure at least 15F with 1" of CCF.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    So, maybe 1 3/8 or a little less - plus maybe a Poncho/GI/sunshade? Wonder if you could do zero or 10F with just 1" of CCF? Probably for sure at least 15F with 1" of CCF.
    A little less than an inch is typical, but I don't think of it that way. Everything is a system. I did a year of backyard testing with different combinations of things. I cannot separate out my bottom insulation from my top, or even my tarp. All work together. Which is why I included the GI in my description as well. when looking at it as a system, a good system will have the whole greater than the sum of its parts. Some things work better when pairs with other items. Some not so much. It isn't just a matter of just adding something from one persons system to another. It matters what the individual pieces are and how they end up working in concert (or against). Testing out systems cannot be overstated.

Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    I see. Obviously that little insulation isn;t nearly enough. If it were me, I'd either return it, or cut it and make it able to accept a section of ccf. Good luck!
    I no longer use it as I have found a better solution.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123