General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kk4df View Post
    Urban stealth camping sounds like it could be fun, but I don't know if I have the nerve to setup in a place where I might get some unwelcome visitors. I don't mind backpacking and spending nights alone in the woods. I'm just unsure about local city parks. But I do want to hear some stories!
    TO be honest that can happen! I was hiking open land a month ago and there were no cars in the designated lot, and after a hour of walking Rugby (big Retriever) found a 25 year old man walking off trail in the woods. No gear or suitable clothing.... we talked - nice enough... appeared near out from under a bridge, but was clean.

Quote Originally Posted by ToeShoeHiker View Post
    I just moved, so I have no idea what's around me yet. YET. I enjoyed the PD dare. I don't think I could have done it.
    Put Google Earth on your computer - on the left column check or turn on parks...

Quote Originally Posted by larrybourgeois View Post
    You are right about Google Earth being THE tool to find new stealth hang'n spots, everywhere. It's even better than doing a slow fly over, in a small plane. You can zoom down until you are right over the spot you want and "read" the terrain so there are very few surprises when you get there in the flesh. lb
    Last year I was looking at a trail, to find a Indian cave that doesn't appear on maps and spotted a perfect brown square off trail - something that doesn't happen in nature. So I added it to the Garmin to check it out, I estimated it to be about 10x10 and sure enough it was a ruin of a 300 year old Farm house on the PA DE boarder. if you can find details like that you can plan anything... now that Motorola has Google - and there a google app - I can walk up to the objects in real time ( but the battery goes fast)
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

I was watching a documentary on Sweden and apparently they haven't really embraced the concept of public parks BUT they do have a law of fair/common access to private property.

Basically, you don't need permission to camp/hike on private property as long as you are only there for a short period of time and don't significantly use their resources.

For example, a one night camp and camp fire and maybe some mild fishing are totally acceptable.

It seems that it's pretty well embraced so no one has any problems with it.

Makes perfect sense and everyone benefits. If someone is on your land and uses LNT ethics why do you even care... especially if you never know they are there.

In the Reno area I was fishing the river and private ranchers had put up a fence blocking his property ALL THE WAY to the water.

At LEAST allow fisherman to have access to your property. Seems like a 10 foot corridor next to the water is fair use.

Especially considering I packed out a **** ton of crash.

I actually have an area owned by a local HOA which does have some teenager
    activity in the summer but I am pretty sure is unoccupied in the colder months.
    I was going to have the wife drop us and pick us up the next morning.The main thing is we try to pick up some litter from areas like this when we hike(trespass to some) and pack it out. If I leave an area better than when I came I consider it payment for camping overnight.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    Toronto has plenty of green space. High Park and the Rouge have plenty of places but the city is filled with ravine parks. I haven't done it yet but it would be easy enough (but illegal).

I've had in the back of my mind to have a urban group hang. Don't know how easy permits would be but it could be interesting.
    My gear testing area is by the small lake next to the Ontario science centre. right in the middle of the city! Didn't know there was a lake there? Neither did i until i went off the trail. Spent a few quiet afternoons hanging and reading there.

Haven't yet spent the night but will in the spring. no signs of broken beer bottles or fire rings or any garbage, really, so i think it's quite unvisited. Lots of planted red pines...

have also hung in secluded parts of mud creek ravine, rouge park, and sunnybrook park, but never overnight. my wife thinks i'm a little strange.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonator View Post
    I was watching a documentary on Sweden and apparently they haven't really embraced the concept of public parks BUT they do have a law of fair/common access to private property.

Basically, you don't need permission to camp/hike on private property as long as you are only there for a short period of time and don't significantly use their resources.

For example, a one night camp and camp fire and maybe some mild fishing are totally acceptable.

It seems that it's pretty well embraced so no one has any problems with it.

Makes perfect sense and everyone benefits. If someone is on your land and uses LNT ethics why do you even care... especially if you never know they are there.
    here's an interesting article on this topic:

http://explore-mag.com/6077/adventur...e-private-land

Hammock
    Thermarest Slacker/Slack house
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Super Snuggler
    Suspension
    Eno Helios

Urban stealth

I have tried some rural park "stealthing". I am definitely going to try some solo urban stealthing next year. There are some nice areas that I could get to easily by bike.
    Ultralight is the word though. keep it simple: scout some areas out, pace out some trees to use, a small quiet stove for some tea, a nice small light to move around by, up with the sun and back in the saddle.
    Time for some winter recon with Google Earth........until ice fishing begins.

I am impressed with the tales of vagabond camping where people pull off and find a spot just before dark. That must be a skill that you would need to work on.

Hammock
    WBRR DBL / GTSBP
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ / pad
    Suspension
    Strap / Woopie
    I have this area less than a mile from the house.
    Never thought of doing any hangs in this location ... but ... when the back porch loses its luster....

"The longer I wait, the more I learn and the more $$ I save."
    "Por que la leche queste mas, que los huevos...."

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    What are those big grey ares in your picture?

Hammock
    BIAS Camper DL
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    When I got my first hammock last winter the closest place I could go to set'er up was Prospect Park here in beautiful Brooklyn, NY. I always figured I knew the park well having lived near it my whole life but I spent a good couple hours walking around trying to find the most secluded hanging spot possible. I was surprised at how difficult it proved to find a spot not visible from the many paths through the park. Ended up deciding on the area that I first guessed would be the best spot, the big wooded hill behind the waterfall. Hop a little fence and walk a while to where noone can spot ya. Sure is a nice spot and it's where I've gone a few times when I get a new piece of kit I can't wait to try out. First time there I spotted what looked like a small hobo camp set up alongside a big downed tree that'd been vacated due to the cold weather. I've never felt quite comfortable enough to take a nap there but it's a nice little semi-private spot in the middle of a big ol' city.

In this area, northern Virginia, wherever there is a patch of woods you are liable to find a small colony of homeless people squatting. They are mostly refuges from psychiatric facilities or substance abusers. They do some rather amazing things with garbage bags and cardboard. I have never seen any hammocks though. I definitely would not feel safe closing my eyes with them around.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast