WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I know its not the right material, but long story short, south Texas guy 40* quilts, needed to make it to 20* in less than a week... I made one out of heavy, water proof non breathable rain jacket material... It's not the right stuff, no argument there but it worked down to 18*... No condensation...

I wished I had gotten a photo, but inside there is a twin sheet over my ridgeline... It blocked some of the breeze coming through from the cracks... The cracks were left on purpose because I was worried about condensation... The sheet wad cold, but not frozen in the morning... I slept on a ccf pad and a shamu underquilt... In cotton pants, wool socks and a t shirt, and under a 30* sleeping bag used top quilt fashion... And I was warm till nature called... 18* is cold enough... The sock is made TED bugnet style kind of... One side is fixed with the other being on a bungee, use my carabiner to clip them together to make sure it all stayed together...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Deer View Post
    ...canvas drop cloth. I'm not sure if this is good enough canvas, though.
    It will work fine. Just a bit heavy, but if you use a pulk it won't matter as much.

Most fabric stores have "canvas", which is 4 oz untreated cotton fabric.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Lowes has some canvas painters tarps, I have know idea the fabric weight kinda heavy. Do you think it would be ok to use for a winter sock? Carry weight will not be an issue.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    Lowes has some canvas painters tarps, I have know idea the fabric weight kinda heavy. Do you think it would be ok to use for a winter sock? Carry weight will not be an issue.
    I'll bet it would work just fine just don't copy any of the old sock designs they were not vented so most that used them froze them up pretty good. That is why you don't see canvas used much anymore.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was going to use this guys idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24QQbYZzKbY Lowes has a 12x9 8oz tarp that i figured all i needed to do was make a channel for the sock cord and stitch up the sides for a quick easy sock. Do you think it will work OK?

Images
    I was going to use this guys idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24QQbYZzKbY Lowes has a 12x9 8oz tarp that i figured all i needed to do was make a channel for the sock cord and stitch up the sides for a quick easy sock. Do you think it will work OK?
    redoleary, is an active member here and one of our best DIYers. I would PM him and ask if he still uses this sock or if he had done any thinking on a redesign.
    Back in the winter of 2011/2012 canvas socks were all the rage but they weren't properly vented.
    Most just quit using them. I still think the material has its advantages in deep cold and where weigh is not an issue but IMO the design just needs to be tweaked.
    Also consider that the open weave of this material is not as wind proof as say DWR coated 1.0 ripstop.

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    I made my last one out of 1.1 camo ripstop. Have not had a condensation problem yet, but night time temps around here this year have been in the 30's. It's also pretty dry here - high desert climate if you're not in the mountains.
    The material seems light. Does it block the wind and still increase the temps inside 10-15 degrees?

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I've been happy with my cotton socks. One is 3 ounces and the other much lighter, maybe 1.5 ounces. The second one has a pretty loose weave but it did keep the drafts off of me in cold breezy conditions.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    The Lowes on the Outer Banks carries both 8 oz. and 10 oz. canvas painters tarps. I made a prototype sock out of the 12' X 12' eight ounce canvas painters tarp (yes, it is heavy ... over four pounds). Spent last weekend in it with temps between 45* and a low of 21*. Used a cuben fiber tarp hung high overhead for rain protection.

While some others were complaining about condensation issues, I had absolutely no sign of it. The canvas sock added about 15* to the interior temp.
    Last edited by obxh2o; 02-05-2015 at 15:21.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Here's one I made from a Lowes canvas drop sheet. It weighs about 4 lbs which I don't care about when pulking. Since this picture, I've added a ridgeline to keep it a little higher up and not resting on my hammock ridgeline. I used it last weekend at -27C (-16.7F) and it worked well. It keeps wind from robbing heat in my insulation and provides a moderately warmer microclimate compared to outside. There was some condensation where I was exhaling but there was no "snowstorm" inside when I moved around. The next one I make will be a little bigger, use it's own ridgeline and have better venting than the cinches on the ends on my current one provide. Also, I'll probably do SEEP style flap. Zippers are a pain when it's really cold outside and you just want to get bundled up. The canvas is really easy to sew and it's about a 1 evening project.

photo_2_original.jpg
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234