WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles

New Year's Day overnight at Shoal Pond, Pemigewasset Wilderness, Nh

Baron and I set off for our first solo overnight hike on New Years Day. The plan was to head out to Shoal Pond via Ethan Pond Trail and Shoal Pond Trail, about 12 miles round trip. Lows were forecast to be in the single digits with 25mph winds. We got a late start, hitting the trail at 11:30am. The beginning of the hike called for Microspikes, with snowshoes being the order after the first 2 miles and for the remainder of the trip. We headed straight for Shoal Pond with a short break at Ethan Pond, arriving at SP at about 3:00, just in time to get camp set and firewood gathered before the early sunset. A beautiful sunset gave way to crystal clear skies and a nearly full moon, rendering headlamps unnecessary for the night.

We spent the night tending the fire and walking around in circles to stay warm before turning in around 10. We woke up around 6 to fresh snow with more falling. Baron refused to get out of the hammock as I made breakfast and broke camp. Previous day's tracks have been covered and snowshoes were called for again. We finally left around 9:30 to go back to the car, arriving 3 hours later.

And the jerk ripped my hammock.

Awesome! Looks like you and the pup had a great time. Fresh snow in the morning must have been really cool.
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

• + New Posts