One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcurlksm View Post
    ok ive made my decision to go with a top quilt first as it will kill the bulk. i will go the ccf route and add the woobie. been looking for a good excuse to get one or two anyway.

thank you
    Let us know how it ends up working for you. Pad vs UQ always seems to be a debate.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Ok so my count is

4 vote for UQ
    3 vote for TQ

Haha!

Is there a better deal for a TQ around 20 deg than the JRB Hudson River Quilt at $239?

Or maybe do a good UQ and get a Oversized Eddie Bauer Throw at $59
    As far as down is concerned no, but AHE (arrowhead equipment) makes a wonderful synthetic 30* tq if you didn't know about them...Great guy and pretty active on the forums.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I opted for the TQ first. As others have stated before, I already have the pad sytem (thermarest + HH radiant bubble pad) that is working and I find it comfortable, so I was looking to add comform and reduce pack size on top. As an added bonus, my TQ (HG 0* burrow) cost less than a similar quality down bag. For me the investment made sense, since I would have bought a down bag anyways. I hope this helps.

Makes sense to me. You should have the same level or better comfort, with reduced weight. If you add a UQ in the future, then you will be even more comfy (possibly more weight, but reduced pack size).

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    Arrowhead Equipment has a relatively cheap UQ at around $100.00, and if I know him, he's having a Black Friday sale. That UQ is the best piece of gear that I own. Mind you, my sleeping bag is a lot smaller than yours, even though it is synthetic, but that UQ has made all the difference in the world.
    I used to use it with a bottom entry HH, and it worked fine, but I know have the side zip model and it works even better.
    I then waited for another sale and scored TQs for my boyfriend and I. Our options now depend on whether we're kayak camping or car camping, what the weather forecast is, etc.
    You definitely need to do something about that bag though, my God, it's a monster!
    Debi

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I dont use a pad. Just dont like the way they feel. For this reason I still think getting the UQ first makes better sense for me. I dont always pack a TQ because weather temps vary. In late summer I just pack an UQ and small blanket.

Basically what I am saying is, in my Region(VA) a under-quilt gets utilized more often than a TQ - for me. So it just makes more sense to upgrade the most used piece of gear first. As far as bulk, the TQ doesnt seem to be much bulkier than an UQ anyway, unless your using a 3/4s or 1/2 size UQ.

I can see the logic in going either way.

Images
    ok ive made my decision to go with a top quilt first as it will kill the bulk. i will go the ccf route and add the woobie. been looking for a good excuse to get one or two anyway.

thank you
    Good decision IMO. I would contact our vendors and speak to them on the phone to discuss your size requirements. One of the many advantages
    of using one of the venders that posts/supports HF.net
    Many of the standard sized UQ you might find a bit confining or they will not give you the coverage you need in the stomach and shoulder area.

Best of luck. Looking forward to your first trip report with your new gear.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    I'd call Adam & Jenny at Hammock Gear and talk to them about a nice Burrow TQ.

Have fun!

Kirk

thank you

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    McCat Ultra
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Dutch Clip
    Images
    For what it's worth, I've had a UQ for years. Got rid of my pad and bought a JRB Nest and later bought a JRB MW3. I found it much more comfortable than sleeping on a pad. Less than a minute after crawling into my hammock, I can feel warmth radiating up from the UQ. I never have bought a TQ. I still use a 20* sleeping bag like a TQ. It works for me.

Don't argue with the alligator until after you cross the river.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Siltarp2
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    I was waffling about buying an UQ--for about two days. Then I decided I just wanted to be warm no matter what. I have some trips this winter I want to do and I just knew that a pad and a 20-degree down bag were just not going to cut it. If you have the bucks, just do it. And it's worth going into a little debt even if you don't because you won't freeze your tail off.
    "YOU KIDS GET OUTSIDE AND AIR YOUR PANTS!"--MOM

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast