Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

What Can I Expect??

I just purchased the Hennessey undercover for my ULBP. I am considering sewing a quilt, Ray Way quilt. It will be the quilt rated around 28 degrees. What can I actually expect to get as far as temp rating. I typically sleep in med wt long underwear, wool socks, hat and gloves in needed. I guess the real info is do I need to stick with the current bag which is rated at 20 degrees if the temps will be getting around the mid or low 20s? I really want to switch because it should be more comfortable to get in and out of using the quilt.
    I intend on using it as directed with the emegency blanket.

Who uses the quilts and who usess the bags?

two trees
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I have the Ray Way quilt with alpine upgrade, & have comfortably gotten to 25 several times under it.

I'm sure that unlike me you will read ALL of the directions, but: when sewing everything together, sew with the insulation side DOWN! To me this was counter intuitive, but insulation side up is misery; 2 hrs to sew 3', once I turned itover as per the directions, it took less than 20 minutes to sew everything together.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    Thanks for the input and the advise on sewing.
    If you dont mind were you in a hammoc? ( I know we are on hammock site just have to ask) and what were wearing?
    Were you using some sort of underquitl etc.

Thanking you ahead of time
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I use a Ray Way alpine upgrade but it's too warm for me in spring and summer, not to mention bulkier than down quilts. I was toasty warm down to freezing last March with a blue ccf in the hammock. I also had enough materials left to make up a bomber hat to match the quilt, but it's pretty darn warm too. Most of the time I use a JRB down quilt and a balaclava or beanie - in summer I ditch the hat entirely.

Ray Ways are easy to make and a great value. I made mine slightly larger than I probably should have, but it's also great on the ground; a friend used it in a tent recently.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAS View Post
    Thanks for the input and the advise on sewing.
    If you dont mind were you in a hammoc? ( I know we are on hammock site just have to ask) and what were wearing?
    Were you using some sort of underquitl etc.

Thanking you ahead of time
    I sleep 365 days a year* in a hammock Most of them outside, year round.

(That's a "YES" )

Usually if at home, I am wearing: wool socks, cotton work pants, tee shirt, fleece jacket, nylon "watch cap", nylon liner gloves. Under me: Army surplus CCF pad - 3/4 length, hammock, Patomic underquilt. Over me: RayWay quilt, nylon hammock sock**, sil nylon 13.5' x 10' tarp.

I wear the gloves cause I have arthritus & the watch cap cause I'm mostly bald.

Minimum temp on coldest night 23, other 2 nights 24 & 25 give or take a degree or so. Dressed as I was, I did NOT want to get out of bed, so I didn't. Once the sun came up, I grabbed my pack & slipped on my rain jacket for just a touch of extra insulation, tore down my set up & went in.

FYI: I sleep warm, I AM warm down to 40 in tee & kilt. What I can COMFORTABLY get to 20 in/under a "Normal" probably would have a chilly night at 30

* I just put a hammock set up in at work (24 hr shift on a Life Squad), so now I never have to sleep in a bed.

** adds about 10 degrees.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    I have a Ray-Way with alpine upgrade. I generally sleep cold (I need more blankets than others). I also have a $9 fleece sleeping bag liner from WalMart. I use it on cold nights with the quilt. On recent 16 degree overnight, I had the quilt and liner, wore Duofold mid-weight under a simple sweatshirt and sweat pants, socks, glove liners and a balaclava. Plenty warm. I'm very happy with the alpine upgrade. Works great in the three cold seasons, and the bag-liner is perfect for Summer. Doctari is dead-on about the sewing hint. I made the same mistake.

• + New Posts