DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch / whoopies

The Cart before the Horse!

Hey guys see what you think about this. I enjoy backpacking and camping and I'm eager to get into using some hammocking gear. I am thinking about asking for a top quilt and under quilt from all my family for Christmas. I don't have a hammock yet but it looks like the hammock will be about the cheapest part of the system. From what I've seen there are lots of great hammocks for two hundred bucks or less, but the quilts are a little more expensive. I could ask for a hammock but then I won't be able to afford the rest of the system. If I can get the quilts or at least one of them I know I can come up with the cash for a hammock. I'll have to get a tarp too. Do you think this is a good strategy or not so much? Some of the gear I've been looking at are the dream hammocks by papa smurf, JRB quilts, and the Old Man Winter tarp. Thanks.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Seems reasonable to me. Quilts will comprise the majority of your cost for your setup. Hammocks are easy to get/make. You could use just about any tarp for the time being. Good luck in getting yourself set up!

S

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Ole Blue for now
    Insulation
    None yet.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Makes sense to me. IMO, if anywhere, the UQ and TQ are a great place to "invest" a bit more money than you normally would, so to speak. I went with an ENO Doublenest for my first hammock (got it last week). I'm now scratching my head trying to figure out how to get a TQ and UQ.

Getting the most expensive thing as a present makes perfect sense, if money is tight... and I don't know many people where its not.

Brandon

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    In the sense of the order of things, you are putting the cart before the horse. That being said, free/present is always the right price and negates any logical order, provided you can eventually get your hands on a hammock and tarp.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch / whoopies
    I've actually got a pretty good Exped sleeping pad but if I get a hammock I really would like to go ahead and get the quilts. Maybe I can get my family to go in together and help get me started. Probaly try to get the underquilt first and use my sleeping bag till I can get a top quilt.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by aclawrence View Post
    I've actually got a pretty good Exped sleeping pad but if I get a hammock I really would like to go ahead and get the quilts. Maybe I can get my family to go in together and help get me started. Probaly try to get the underquilt first and use my sleeping bag till I can get a top quilt.
    Sounds like you're on the right tract in your thinking.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aclawrence View Post
    I was going to suggest getting the UQ first, then if you have a good sleeping bag, you might go with that while you outfit the tarp/hammock.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I would love to get a TQ & UQ for gifts. I can make and hang a tablecloth hammock for $25.00. Hammocks are the least expensive segment of a hanging rig. TQ's, UQ's and tarps are the major expense.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    what if you get all your down,then find that you cant sleep in a gathered end hammock?you wont be able to go bridge then because you would have to rebuy the down.this happened to me ,i had to go through three hammocks to find the one for me.in my humble opinion it would be like buying the best tires for your car first,then hoping you find a car that fits the tires.not trying to bring you down,just a heads up that i had to buy, then sell alot of equipment to find what was perfect for me.i would start with the hammock first make sure i could snore in it ,then the tarp, and then the down u q ,t q.when you look at it like your house,you dont insulate until the house is up and a roof over.have them buy your tarp and hammock for a gift .you can get quilts on here used afterwards.hope i didnt come off as anything but positive for you.oh and since you have a bag,thats what i use for a top quilt,your only short of a 250-300 dollar quilt to complete you..a ridge runner and cuban fiber tarp would be around 500 bucks,much better to have to buy a used under quilt for 200 than buy the rest.i dont know it all,i just know whats happened to me.
    Last edited by hairbear; 11-21-2012 at 04:35.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    There are quilts you can get that will fit a gathered end hammock or a bridge hammock. +1 with the tablecloth hammock for around $25 ready to hang. I think they will be having another sale on them this friday. You can also go with a Kelty Noah 9 or 12 for a tarp very reasonably priced. Good luck to you, and get out there hanging.
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast