Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

The weight of my next HG quilt

Love my HG Phoenix 20* with 2 oz. overstuff. It's served me in temps from 74* F to 15 degrees. However, I want a full-length 0* Incubator for Christmas. I can't decide if I want overstuff or not.

The Phoenix should be good to 10 degrees (24.5 oz), and my initial inclination is to get some overstuff in the Incubator (28.5 oz) to lower my temp range. Is 2 or 4 oz overstuff overkill, or can I still use the Incubator in temps up to 50 or 60 degrees?

I'm torn on the overstuff.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopie
    Images
    I just picked up a 0 degree incubator with no overstuff.. stormcrow says that he knows guys who camp in a 0 all year long..if your worried about weight and size my buddy just picked up a incubator with 4oz over stuff..not much weight and size deff to me.. but im not realy a gram weenie lol..

for me i have a DIY that takes me down to high 30s and low 40s then the incubator will kick it .. this set up should be great for all 4 seasons were i live ..

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    I have a zero phincubator.. No doubt 50 degrees and lower is do able..
    When it is warmer you don't need a top quilt or not much anyway..If you aren't trapping the heat from the uq. (tq) it doesn't bake you...A thing of beauty........
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Just picked up my 0 degree incubator with the 4 oz of overstuff, the way I see it is i can always cool off but if i don't have enough I am miserable when I get cold. This thing should go to -10 I would think.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I didn't go with any overstuff in my 20* Pheonix. It has not yet been cold enough in my piece of the forest to find the lower limits. I know I am toasty warm into the mid 40's though. Looking forward to some cool fall nights. I would be interested to know what kind of difference over stuffing really makes. If the standard stuff is enough to fully inflate the baffles, then stuffing more fluff in there will add weight, but not warmth as it cannot trap more air than the baffles would allow.

Am I thinking along the right path here?
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor1887 View Post
    I didn't go with any overstuff in my 20* Pheonix. It has not yet been cold enough in my piece of the forest to find the lower limits. I know I am toasty warm into the mid 40's though. Looking forward to some cool fall nights. I would be interested to know what kind of difference over stuffing really makes. If the standard stuff is enough to fully inflate the baffles, then stuffing more fluff in there will add weight, but not warmth as it cannot trap more air than the baffles would allow.

Am I thinking along the right path here?
    After talking with Adam at HG he told me that adding the overstuff will help keep the down from migrating in the chambers and also gives a bit of additional loft.
    Byron

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    After talking with Adam at HG he told me that adding the overstuff will help keep the down from migrating in the chambers and also gives a bit of additional loft.
    I give my quilts a shake before deploying them hopping to minimize the "migration" factor. If your down is clumping up or migrating, cold spots would be a problem at the lower temps. I am not sure about bang for the buck on the "bit of extra loft" or the additional weight. I, like many, have paid a price to shave an oz. If 1 oz got me 5 more degrees of comfort, I would consider it, especially if I were doing the winter camping thing. For three season, not so much.

When I talked with Adam about over stuffing in my quilts, he seemed fairly neutral about it, but based on what I was asking about thought I would be just fine with the standard stuff.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor1887 View Post
    I give my quilts a shake before deploying them hopping to minimize the "migration" factor. If your down is clumping up or migrating, cold spots would be a problem at the lower temps. I am not sure about bang for the buck on the "bit of extra loft" or the additional weight. I, like many, have paid a price to shave an oz. If 1 oz got me 5 more degrees of comfort, I would consider it, especially if I were doing the winter camping thing. For three season, not so much.

When I talked with Adam about over stuffing in my quilts, he seemed fairly neutral about it, but based on what I was asking about thought I would be just fine with the standard stuff.
    Well I am sure that you are pleased with your purchase as am I.
    Byron

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I am also adding a top quilt to my gear - I am under 6', but thick in the shoulders- any recommendations regarding extra length or width? How about sewn footbox vs snap?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I am also adding a top quilt to my gear - I am under 6', but thick in the shoulders- any recommendations regarding extra length or width? How about sewn footbox vs snap?
    If under 6 ft then I would not worry about extra length, but I as well have wide shoulders and would recommend a wide model. So that you can tuck it down around you and it will stay put.

What is your underquilt?
    Byron

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast