DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings

Ripstop and Fleece Sock??

Hey all, I am brainstorming a DIY project and would love to hear what y'all think.
    I am thinking of doing a ripstop nylon sock with fleece sewn on the inside of it. I was laying on the couch last night under a fleece blanket and thought "man this thing is really warm and not to heavy" So of course I got to thinking about it and wanted to bounce it off everyone and get some thoughts.

My thought is to use the nylon like it is used on my fleece jacket as windstopper and a thin lining of fleece to help retain warmth and to work as a frost catcher. All of my fleece dries really quick and holds heat very nicely.

I am planning on heading north to Minnesota for the Frozen Butt Hang and this is going to be my big project for this trip

All thoughts are welcomed and appreciated!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I too have thought of using fleece as a practical, lightweight, cheap, quilt or whatever. The only problem is that fleece is only good down to about 40 without a serious windblocker. The only thing that kept me from following through with such a project(windproof fleece) was packing size. Fleece does not compress at all. I don't want crap on the outside of my pack......your choice, your hang, and if there's no pics; it didn't happen.

Ps, I might still make one someday for a summer uq, but that would be the extent of it...

Good luck, and thanks for your help with my recent uq decision, even if my boss said no right now...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Yeah, I've been kickin around similar ideas too, although the extra pack thickness concerns me a little, compared to an unlined sock.

Are you planning to go 360º with the fleece or just on the top half of the sock, above your hammock? I think if you've got the wind break all the way around, the added insulation just up top would make a noticeable difference since heat rises. Kinda like there's more insulation in your attic than in your walls . . .

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    In moderate cold the nylon sock lined or unlined would work fine.

In deeper cold, 10f and below, if you are a moisture generator, as I am, any nylon will usually have a lot of frost on the inside, when used as a sock.
    If lined I am sure it would be about the same, holding more frost.

In deeper cold a natural fabric will allow the heat differential to push the moisture to the outside and freeze it on the outside for easier removal.
    A sock of fleece alone might work, but air through the fleece, for sure, would be an issue.

Using a nylon piece on the upwind side might help wind break, but still allow air transfer to carry out the moisture.
    Some things just have to be tried to see what will work for you.
    Tightly woven cotton has proven to be a pretty good performer in deep cold, and affordable.
    If high humidity or rain is happening I don't use a cotton sock, but may add a UQP of nylon.

One item I have used, with some success, is a breathing tube. kept near your face and exiting the sock, it carries moisture outside of the sock.
    Though sometimes moisture will condense and drip onto my face, waking me from a great sleep
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    My current DIY TQ system consist of 3 layers. Polyester outer wind block, middle quilt of 1/2" polyester batting with polyester suit lining covers, inner layer of fleece. All layers have sewn footboxes which sleeve togeather. At 44* F a couple of weekends ago I started with all 3 layers and had to remove the fleece within minutes. The fleece is about twice the weight and bulk of the other 2 layers and will be left home in the future unless expecting temps below 40*.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had a sock I kept trying made from rip-stop. Even made a big face hole. Kept me warmer but really collected a lot of condensation.
    Good luck on yours....they work great for some.
    Shug the Sock-Sap

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide &amp; Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky &amp; GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Honestly, going with the purpose of the sock, I'm not real sure why you'd line a sock with fleece.

....but then I haven't quite understood the possible lining of any sock with anything. Seems to make more since to me to work with the UQ and TQ better, such as adding an undercover, and then leave a sock as it is. I'm a firm believer in a sock, so I'm not knocking it, as a matter of fact, I love them. Perhaps someone can enlighten me better on the reasoning a few are lining a sock, while others have dropped the notion entirely
    Last edited by DivaB; 11-21-2012 at 14:19.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Great feedback, I think I will stick to my original plan and use a cotton duck cloth. Thanks for helping out!! Happy Thanksgiving!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

• + New Posts