Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Looks like Nalgenes have changed since this thread was started. I'm seeing two different types of Nalgene 16 oz bottles at REI: the HDPE and the REI-branded Eastman Tritan copolyester. Anyone have any thoughts about which one works best for this?

Hammock
    Grand Trunks SBP
    Tarp
    PahaQue HM20R
    Insulation
    Custom
    Suspension
    Custom
    The Tritan says "cold and 'warm' beverages, as opposed to hot. Wonder what their definition of warm is...

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    To answer my own question, from the Nalgene site:

Everyday™ Tritan™ (aka Eastman Tritan™ copolyester)
    Max temperature: 100°C/212°F
    Min temperature: -40°C/-40°F

HDPE
    Withstands temperatures from -100ºC (-148ºF) to 120ºC (248ºF)

And just for completeness:

Nalgene Canteen
    Made with Multi-Layer Film
    Withstands temperatures from -29ºC (-20ºF) to 104ºC (220ºF)

So, looks like they are all fine to hold boiling water.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessy
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I used this idea this summer to make what would have been a miserable time into something much better. On my first backpacking trip of the summer one afternoon after I had gotten the hammock and tarp it immediately started raining. We had seen the storm rolling in so no real surprise there. Well, after a couple of minuets of watching the steady stream of water pour off of the tarp I noticed some of the tent people hadn't gotten their tent up in time, though by time i noticed they had thrown their rain fly on and gotten everything inside that shouldn't get wet.

Well, long story short (though not really because I'm feeling verbose), I grabbed my rain coat and went out to see if they needed any help. They said they were fine. I stuck around and chatted for a while, all the while my legs were getting soaked because all i had was the rain coat... I thought it would be fine because it had been such a hot day at first the rain felt like a relief. Well turns out the rain coat did not work very well (I'm going back to using a poncho!). By the time that I had gone and secured my bear bag I was pretty wet.

I got back to the hammock and under the tarp and got my wet stuff off, though I was still damp and didn't want to get everything else damp. I threw on my hoodie because what is better than cotton in a rainy/damp situation (I really got to spring for some new camping clothes). I took off the underquilt and grabbed the thermarest (no way am I getting my underquilt wet or damp, the thermarest came along as backup and was used mostly to sit on while cooking). I put the thermarest in and laid back in the hammock.

Next thing I know it is getting dark and I'm freezing, though pretty much dry (yay for accidentally falling asleep!). That is when I thought of this post, which was a big reason I even got a Nalgene in the first place (though I've fallen in love with them now and wouldn't go camping or backpacking without them). So I grab my trusty Nalgenes, my pot and trusty penny stove (the pot is only used to boil water in, otherwise it would have been with the bear bag). Between my two bottles I had enough water to fill one of them. By the time the water was ready I was shivering pretty bad. I proceeded to be an idiot and tried to pour boiling water while shivering (not recommended). Just over half of the water made it into the Nalgene, and some of the water made it onto the hand that was supporting the Nalgene (that could have been much worse, later it felt like a mild sunburn). Luckily I didn't jerk my hand away and upset Nalgene. Well, Nalgene wiped off, closed, and in a couple of socks and me in the hammock (after turning the thermarest over). I pulled both the underquilt and my sleeping bag over me and got the hot Nalgene in place. And I continued to shiver for a little bit. I was expecting it to warm me much faster(some of the comments mention almost instantly feeling the benefit). After a couple of long minuets it kicked in and 10 mins later I was toasty warm for what felt like the first time in a long time. The bottle stayed warmer longer than I thought it would, it only being just over half full, I kicked it down by my feet after I warmed up. I was toasty warm all night.

So Preacha Man, and hammockfourm members, thanks for this thread, it gave me a good nights rest once and probably will again, though I'm getting a lightweight kettle to replace the pan (easier to pour).

Hammock
    Yukon w bugnet
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas, Whoopie
    I learned this trick in Cold Weather Camping training w/ Scouts. I can't recommend this enough! It got cold up here early... down to the low 30s last month on a camping trip, and one of our guys did this.

Our next campout is in January... no hammock, but you can bet I'll do the water bottle!

Never thought much about material - I wouldn't think twice about a Nalgene. The biggest factor I consider is... is it a water bottle that will LEAK. That'll ruin your night in a hurry.

This is a great idea, I'll have to try this out next time I'm sleeping out in the cold. I wonder if this is bad for the nalgene though...

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nosckaj123 View Post
    This is a great idea, I'll have to try this out next time I'm sleeping out in the cold. I wonder if this is bad for the nalgene though...
    I have done this many times with no ill effects to the Nalgene. They are polycarbonate and that has a high melting point although I don't know about the lid.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    I used a Gatorade bottle with hot tap-water a couple nights ago when it got down to 16º. Worked too well and I ended up taking it out of the hammock because it was way too warm in there! Good to know that I can go colder if I need to.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    The key is to insulate your hot water container so the water is still hot/warm in the wee hours of the morning when you need it. Thus the posts saying to use the towels/socks as insulation that you can remove as you desire heat to escape.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    diy nylon + brazilian for indoors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+ DIY SOCK
    Suspension
    whoopies/UCR
    just came back from 1.5 months of living in the forest. the single most useful item i had was my 27 oz stainless steel klean kanteen bottle, in its bubble wrap/Mylar (Reflectix ) DIY double cozy, filled with boiled water. during the day, inside my inner jumper pocket, it would keep me warm for 4-5 hours, plus i always had green tea leaves in it for an occasional sip.
    at night it was in my sleeping bag under my arm pit.
    Yes, it is heavier than a plastic bottle, but i was camping in one spot, and the cozy was brilliant in protecting me from burns plus slowing down the heat dissipation , plus keeping the bag clean, even though the bottle was completely black. boiling water in the bottle, also made the starting heat point, higher.
    and also, when siting by a fire, i could place the bottle in it for a while to give it a boost.
    bottom line- it stood to the test, big time, for many days. i wish i had a fire proof cap though. also , a fatter, shorter bottle would be more stable in the fire, (does anyone know of such bottle/ cap), but maybe less comfortable in my jumper and bag.

If i can find a fatter bottle , that i can fit my hand in, for cleaning, i would use it more as a cooking pot. just boil your food, and let it mature in the double cozy, under your bag, (like a hay box), with no problem of burning, or sticking, freeing the fire for other stuff, or just saving on fuel. i do cook in it sometimes, but not sticky stuff.

Will you go to bed with your black dirty cooing pot?
    Well. as i said, the Cozy is the magic, keeping the outside perfectly clean.

(no need for a plastic bag , when packing it in the bag either.)

Cozy pic.jpg

--------------------------

Content beings just Don't hurt each other.

Join The
    HAMMOCK PEACE REVOLUTION

Hang TODAY!
    Last edited by hove64; 11-18-2014 at 19:12.

• + New Posts
  • Page 63 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast