Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    My only problem with a metal bottle is my water usually freezes and they say they don't recommend freezing water in them, they may leak afterward.
    You could always just sleep with it in your hammock and it wouldn't freeze. Or, leave the lid loose, and it wouldn't hurt for it to freeze.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    Maybe I am naive but I have never had one of my four Platypus bottles leak at all. Are some of you having trouble with yours? Mule
    I've only owned one & it leaked some, just a drip, but it leaked.
    I guess it's like a lot of other stuff, they don't all come off the assembly line exactly the same<G>.
    It seams that several others have had platys to leak too, so maybe their quality standards are not quite as strict as some???
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Both of mine leaked, my brother's leaked while at Philmont, my mom's leaked. I just don't trust em'.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Great for stews and any other liquid which I desire to consume hot or warm. I have considered using the Klean Kanteen only and leaving even a very small pot home, but haven't convinced myself of that yet. Getting closer though.
    TeeDee,

All that was interesting. Do you have problems since light can't pass through the metal... seems like you would have to shine a light down inside it to see how full it was and whether or not it was clean, is that much of an issue?

Also talking about hot liquids and metal containers makes me think of how well metal conducts heat and how much easier it is for it to be too hot to handle versus other materials that aren't such good conductors. Also just sitting hot beverages out, the radiating properties of shining metal could be a factor in how quickly they cool off. Have you noticed any significant issues with any of that?
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Of those that posted that their Platys leaked, what type were they?

(A side note: It's snowing in Covington!)
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

a question about a possible technique: on winter group hikes its common to have a large pot of water on or near the fire - often for melting snow but later on for hot water in general - one idea that I thought of (but not tried) was to get this pot of water very hot then fill a soda bottle with cold/cool water and hang the bottle (top off or loose) into the pot to warm it up - obviously the water in the pot is somewhat cooled off but the water in the bottle should warm up fairly quickly and I think the user could easily adjust the desire temp by pulling the bottle out and deciding if it was "done" yet by feel - the only issue that I see is that the water in the pot can't be allowed to boil while the soda bottle is in the pot - the soda bottle would shrink/deform

possible advantages of the technique -
    1. uses lighter weight bottles
    2. no pouring of hot water into a bottle
    3. cheap bottles

possible disadvantages -
    1. can ruin a bottle if left in too long
    2. requires a large pot
    3. requires a campfire

note this is an untried technique but I think it should work OK given its limitations

anyone have any comments?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunHiker View Post
    Of those that posted that their Platys leaked, what type were they?

(A side note: It's snowing in Covington!)
    2L Hoser
    1L Bottle
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you have a campfire and soda bottles with caps you can fill the bottle completely to the top and set it right in the fire. The water will heat and the bottle will not melt. At least if you believe the demonstrations. I've talked to people who say this works but have never tried it myself.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 12-11-2008 at 10:13.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    TeeDee,

All that was interesting. Do you have problems since light can't pass through the metal... seems like you would have to shine a light down inside it to see how full it was and whether or not it was clean, is that much of an issue?
    I never really thought about it. When I get to a water source, I just shake the bottle and listen or feel the weight. From the sound and feel of the water sloshing about I can tell if the level is getting low enough to need a topping up.

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Also talking about hot liquids and metal containers makes me think of how well metal conducts heat and how much easier it is for it to be too hot to handle versus other materials that aren't such good conductors. Also just sitting hot beverages out, the radiating properties of shining metal could be a factor in how quickly they cool off. Have you noticed any significant issues with any of that?
    I have one of those silicone gloves used in the kitchen to pick up hot trays or whatever. It kind of fits over the tips of your fingers. Picked a couple at K-Mart some time in the past. I've always just used that when removing the bottle from the flame. Also, I've never really had a problem with the liquid cooling off too quickly. I just take very, very small sips to start to check temperature and when the temperature gets to the drinking/eating range, it's usually gone before it can get any cooler. Food that is ready to eat doesn't stay uneaten long around me.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    a question about a possible technique: on winter group hikes its common to have a large pot of water on or near the fire - often for melting snow but later on for hot water in general - one idea that I thought of (but not tried) was to get this pot of water very hot then fill a soda bottle with cold/cool water and hang the bottle (top off or loose) into the pot to warm it up - obviously the water in the pot is somewhat cooled off but the water in the bottle should warm up fairly quickly and I think the user could easily adjust the desire temp by pulling the bottle out and deciding if it was "done" yet by feel - the only issue that I see is that the water in the pot can't be allowed to boil while the soda bottle is in the pot - the soda bottle would shrink/deform

possible advantages of the technique -
    1. uses lighter weight bottles
    2. no pouring of hot water into a bottle
    3. cheap bottles

possible disadvantages -
    1. can ruin a bottle if left in too long
    2. requires a large pot
    3. requires a campfire

note this is an untried technique but I think it should work OK given its limitations

anyone have any comments?
    Do you empty the pot afterwards??

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 86 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast