Page 76 of 86 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafer View Post
    Interesting read,though I admit I didn't read all the post,I did read many.Im fairly new to hammocks,but not to primitive camping.My thoughts on cold weather hanging leads me to an old trick used by winter ground sleepers.The technique requires a trench to be dug the length of the sleeper,a fire is built in the trench,allowed to burn down to a bed of coals,then covered with dirt.The heat will radiate upwards,bedding would be placed on top of the dirt,woola,a cozy bed all night long.
    A hammock could be warmed by hanging it a few inches off the ground above the covered coal bed.A meal ,meat,potatoes,veggies,could be wrapped and placed underground on the coals the night before,by morning,breakfast is served .Using a trench bed is about the only way I can see a hanger staying completely warm in very fridged temps,head to toe in my feeble opinion,
    So the bears, raccoons, skunks aren't attracted to the homemade TV dinner cooking under your hammock thru the night in your neck of the woods?
    I think it would be much safer to save up for a proper set of quilts when hammock camping.

Ha ha,we have never had a problem with wildlife other than a flying squirrel attacking my head lamp while I was was wearing it.Do a little research of this type of beds,many a meal has been cooked under a pad of dirt while being slept on.Burying food is safer than you think,much safer than hanging it,but it may not be for everyone,I suggest you not cook in your pit if you feel uncomfortable with it,I myself have no qualms doing it.
    Recently while on an outing,we had a Blackbear nose up to us,we got him on a trail cam climbing up to our cache,pretty interesting

To the folks using a nalgene. Use your socks to put over the bottle. It dries them out and you have that just out of the dryer feel to them in the am.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Nalgene bottle goes in a plastic bag and the whole setup goes inside a sock. Sometimes I'll use 2 bottles. Bottles then go into the boots before getting up. I'm ok with lounging in the hammock for an additional 20-30 mins when I wake up anyway

Zippo hand warmer works just fine but have never had much use for them when actually in the hammock. It's OK for taking the initial chill off, having it sit on my chest or in a pocket while first getting into a hammock. Their primary use is as a pocket warmer when not in the hammock. Your quilt solution should be ample for whatever your planned activity and environment might be.

I've spent an entire winter sleeping outdoors in a hammock and many nights winter camping. Stripping down to bare layers of your choosing and then getting in the hammock is invigorating to say the least. Those first couple minutes are the chilly ones. The nalgene/hot water bottle REALLY takes the edge off in those situations. After that it's all about the quilts and a sleeping cap for my bald head.

I also like to drop my boots into my UQP for the night and hit them with the nalgene bottles in the AM. It always amazes me how warm the water bottle is even after 8 hours in the hammock.

Now the late night call of nature, there is no getting around what a drag that is. Getting out of your warm cozy cocoon, striped down to your base layer, putting on cold boots, taking care of business and rushing back into the hammock. That activity is to be endured and nothing more to be done about it. Unless you go the Dutch route for a solution. Might have to try it eventually. Probably worth practicing in warm weather to avoid any great or process failures at crunch time.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    This is the main reason I refuse to give up my Nalgene.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet GT
    Insulation
    Loco Libre -40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & kevlar
    Quote Originally Posted by Durtsurf View Post
    I don't use a stove generally so if it is real cold I'll throw some handwarmers into the bottom of my sleeping bag and that seems to do a great job of keeping warm toes
    I'm with this dude... I bring a stove... and I carry a hard bottle..

however I do not trust bottles made in 3rd world country by the lowest bidder with my life... and if they leak that is what you are risking.

Hand warmer packets don't weight too much and if I can't walk out easily in the dark I am not going to be taking risks with possibly leaky bottles...

They are usually good for 18 hours... so they are good for your hands most of the next day... and then when you get to camp the used up ones help start a fire because it's paper and coal.

not practical when doing like the AT trail for 3 mths... just like battery packs for your cell phone get replaced with solar chargers etc... if you bother with a phone at all... but for a 1-4 night trip hand warmers are just fine.

Hammock
    Original Appalachian
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    20F Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Test your bottle before trying this on the trail.
    I cracked a Nalgene Oasis bottle (the military canteen looking bottles) when I put boiling water in it. Granted, the Oasis is not as thick as a regular Nalgene bottle, but it was a surprise nonetheless.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by inconel710 View Post
    Test your bottle before trying this on the trail.
    I cracked a Nalgene Oasis bottle (the military canteen looking bottles) when I put boiling water in it. Granted, the Oasis is not as thick as a regular Nalgene bottle, but it was a surprise nonetheless.
    I like the HDPE Nalgenes for this. Max water temp of 248°.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    ENO Superfly
    Insulation
    ENO Ember 2, Wooki
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Great idea! Maybe even easier than the old hot rock method.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    We use metal bottles with sock over it. I have had handwarmers fail several times - you open them as directed and they do not heat up. No idea why. Just donit trust them anymore.

If your toes are cold, sure you can send your bottle to the footbox but we find that laying it on your femoral arteries on your thighs works wonders. Warms up the blood, or so it seems.

• + New Posts
  • Page 76 of 86 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast