Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Tried the bottle last night and it worked GREAT! Thanks!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Youngest son (Weasel here on HF) tried a variant of this when we camped out at my brother's about a month ago...inadvertantly.

He brewed a nalgene bottle full of hot tea just before bed, but didn't end up drinking it. Figured he'd just put it in with him in his hammock in case he opted to drink some that night or in the morning.

He mentioned the next day that it kept him quite toasty through the night...LOL!

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Have never tried it but am hoping to head back out early December. Maybe I will try it since I do tend to have cold feet. Thanks to all who posted here, as the multitude is what caused me to think that I may be missing a solution that is useful, easy and inexpensive!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    BCUSA Multicam
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    I'm gonna have to try this....
    Erin Go Bragh!

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    OK. So I started with a steel water bottle and it didn't last longer than ~1am. So I switched to a Nalgene hoping the plastic wouldn't transfer the heat so quickly and last longer. I used it last night in mid 20s (*F) inside a thick wool sock and it lasted to sometime between 2-3am. I woke up chilled with a bottle of lukewarm water against me and had to kick it out.

I agree that the water bottle is awesome at warming things up and keeping you toasty warm but I'm stumped on how you guys are getting it to last through the night. I'm really hoping to replace the need for using the hand warmers on the cold nights completely but I'm not seeing it yet. Am I missing something here?

Hammock
    Wilderness logics Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock cuben tarp
    Insulation
    phoenix 20 degree
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings,

Hot water bottle

Why not use a 2 liter 4.6 oz. MSR Dromlite Bag. A water storage and hot water bottle.

Hammock
    Wilderness logics Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock cuben tarp
    Insulation
    phoenix 20 degree
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings,
    a MSR Dromlite bag weighs 4.6 oz. and is just like a hot water bottle!

Want to keep warm during the winter, but do not want to spend a fortune on heating bills, electric blankets, heating pads and handwarmers and a single use? Here's how.

The hot water bottle is a bottle of flat rubber with a rubber screw cap on top, usually covered with a cloth bag insulation or faux fur. It is used to warm the bed in the cold winter nights, and provides up to eight hours of heat with just four cups of hot (not boiling!) Of water.

Is popular in cold countries such as Japan, France, Britain, etc, but is relatively unknown in the United States. Known as a "hottie" in Britain (a fact that many users have fun in America, using it as slang for "hot" a cute girl or guy), the hot water bottle is an inexpensive, cost-effective long duration to an electric blanket.

It is also a very effective and chemical-free hours of constant heat apply to a specific part of the body as tense muscles or back pain .... It is also good for warming cold hands or feet while you are writing or working at home. A fact that manufacturers of chemicals, such as deep heat or hot packs and heating gel packs do not want you to know!

Caution should be exercised in its use, but with a little practice and common sense you'll wonder how you ever lived without one.
    Instruction
    1 To make a new hot water bottle, peeling the cloth bag to expose the plug. Remove the cap and heat some water with a water heater.
    2Stay with the kettle: Do not boil water! This is key to the dominance of the hot water bottle. See the peak when a sound starts to boil. Remove from heat as soon as steam begins to rise slowly from the spout. If steam is pouring out our kettle whistles or that it's too late. Water heater switch and wait 10 minutes to cool the water.
    3Next, hold the bottle by the neck and carefully pour boiling water into the bottle. When it comes to 60 or 70% full, stop pouring. An overfilled bottle can explode.
    4Finally, expel the air by holding the bottle neck with both hands and pressing the bottle between your stomach / hips and the sink or in the kitchen. Slowly and gently lean forward in the bag, expelling the air and flattening of the bottle. Do not do this quickly or jerk or you get hot water in your pants, it's not fun! When you see the water come right to the edge of the bottle, screw the cap before the release of the bag. It is important to expel as much air as possible or a bottle of hot water stretch and eventually may break if accidentally found there at night.
    5Buy a cover for the bottle, if not come with one, so you can "curl up" with a bottle or put it in to warm cold feet. Heavenly!
    6Use two or more bottles of hot water to heat the top and bottom of the bed at once. This feels incredible, and in just five minutes from the bed will rise from Arctic wasteland to a paradise that will not leave toasting.
    7ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Natasha Rhodes is the author of a series of novelizations of movies and original books, including the blockbuster hit movie "Blade: Trinity, 'Final Destination': The film '1 and 2 and 'Nightmare on Elm Street : Does a Dream '.

Tips & Warnings
    In England, people "jerry platform" hot water bottle fleeced by placing a padded strap through the hole at the top of the cap and the loop around your neck. This allows the hot water bottle to "wear" under a heavy jacket for hours of cozy warmth for evening performances and fireworks, outside the winter games, etc. This is fine, but make sure that the screw the lid firmly in first place. Needless to say, NEVER allow a child to do this because of the choking hazard posed by lead.
    NEVER try to save time by heating a hot water bottle in the microwave. You will cook all the rubber and melt. Also, the air inside the bottle expands and the whole thing can explode.
    NEVER use boiling water in your hot water bottle. Boiling water will weaken the rubber that the bottle is made from. They may not be damaged, but the rubber immediately feel "soft". And they leak or explosion, either immediately as soon as pressure is exerted on it, or over time.
    Hot water bottles are not recommended for infants, very young, elderly or infirm. Young children can chew gum and puncture of the bag, and people who do not have much mobility can overheat or burn out if the bag is clear and hot glue touches bare skin during the night.
    Throw away the bottle after about 3 years or 1 year if used every night. It may seem fine, but the rubber seal eventually breaks down and begins to drip.
    submit infographics

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    BCUSA Multicam
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    I was thinking about this tonight while I was in my gear lab (okay , my garage) and testing out my tastee feest stove, and in my reflectix mania made a koozie for my nalgene and poured in my boiling water. My koozie covers the bottom and sides. I could feel a lot of heat through the top but through the sides and bottom was a nice warmth . I think if I made a reflectix top it would las well through the night, and if I get too cold, just pull the to koozie off for a little extra heat .
    Erin Go Bragh!

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    I've been considering this as well. The wool sock just doesn't seem to quite slow it down enough. Really need something to insulate and allow a slow seep of warmth. I'm gonna have to see if I have enough reflectix left to try this...

• + New Posts
  • Page 28 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast