Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images

Using A Hot Water Bottle To Stay Warm

I just got back from doing some hikes at The Buffalo National River. The first night got down to 20* and the second night was about 24*. I had my 5oz Climashield XP Top and Under Quilts, as well as my windshield heat reflector. I believe that Jeff has talked about boiling water and pouring it into a Nalgene to use as a hot water bottle. I decided to try this the second night and WOW, THIS WORKS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I usually have a problem getting my toes to warm up, but not with this. It instantly warmed up my quilts and was still warm 8 hours later that morning. I do not care if I have to carry another fuel canister just to have to do this, this is awesome, and I'm sure that you could extend the range of a bag/quilt by doing this. Just thought I would post this for all yall that are thinking of ways to stay warm, this is very easy and takes no time to do at all. I hope it helps yall out.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    This comes up from time to time, and is a great tip. Let's sticky it.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I love this trick and have been using it for years (even back in the ground dweller days and in a few real cold apartments I lived in.)

I found another use for this trick a few weeks ago when we got an 8 week old puppy. The first few nights we put a Nalgene with hot water in a sock in the pups crate at night. Between the warmth of the Nalgene and the ticking of a clock we stuck in the sock, he slept through the night like he was still with his mom.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    I found another use for this trick a few weeks ago when we got an 8 week old puppy. The first few nights we put a Nalgene with hot water in a sock in the pups crate at night. Between the warmth of the Nalgene and the ticking of a clock we stuck in the sock, he slept through the night like he was still with his mom.
    That's cool!

This is a wonderful trick and works splendidly. I have used it several times for those nights when you just can't get warm for whatever reason. Placed right against the Femoral Artery and you can feel the warmth through your body almost immediately.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Placed right against the Femoral Artery and you can feel the warmth through your body almost immediately.
    That is exactly where I placed it at first, and it is almost instantaneous. I cannot believe I never tried this before.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    That is exactly where I placed it at first, and it is almost instantaneous. I cannot believe I never tried this before.

Dwight
    ====> I have used the chemical Hand (smaller) and Toe (larger) warmer packs usually put inside of gloves and boots agains the Femoral Arteries in the groin area, and they also work miracles! Warm all the circulating blood. Not as cheap as some hot water in the Nalgene, though!

Putting some hot water into an empty Camelback bag is also good - covers more area, and is moldable to wherever you want it.
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

That's cool!

This is a wonderful trick and works splendidly. I have used it several times for those nights when you just can't get warm for whatever reason. Placed right against the Femoral Artery and you can feel the warmth through your body almost immediately.
    Where is your femoral artrery, I figure somewhere near your femur but how do you find it

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Re: Using A Hot Water Bottle To Stay Warm

Quote Originally Posted by floridaman View Post
    Where is your femoral artrery, I figure somewhere near your femur but how do you find it
    Just stick the bottle between your thighs up high in the groin area. Thats the optimal place. The femoral artery runs up the inner thigh
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by floridaman View Post
    The idea isn't to 'find it'. The idea is to heat the area surrounding it. As Gary_R pointed out, it is more central to our core. The blood pulsing through your carotid is on its way to the brain, while the femoral is pushing out to a more wide area...= greater benefit.

Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    That's cool!

That's the best use of the femoral if ever heard.

I'll try that in a couple of weeks when I go hanging

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast