JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I like it under my wrists for some reason.
    I read somewhere that the wrists are like radiators cause all the blood vessels are close to the surface. I imagine that heat would flow into your body more easily at the wrists as well.

When I trying to prevent overheating, but don't want to stop to shed a layer, I will take off my hat, unzip layers to sterum strap, and pull up the sleeves on my arms up to my elbows. It might be just psychological but I do feel like I am releasing more heat when I do that.

Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    WB Winter UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    SInce I didn't have an extra sock lying around, last night I filled my Nalgene bottle up with boiling water and wrapped it up in the down vest I'd been wearing all afternoon/evening. The down vest allowed just the right amount of heat to escape all night long, and was oh-so-comfortable to have between my legs!

This solves two issues: (1) cozying up to too hot and too hard bottles, and (2) having the bottle's heat all gone half way through the night.
    "Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything."
    ...Charles Kuralt

Hammock
    HH expedition ; BB double layer
    Tarp
    hh hex WB Supr Fly
    Insulation
    .5ccf speer s.p.e.
    Suspension
    variety

Shug's right!

I'm in the medical field... and if you run water over your for arms you can cool down really fast. so it makes sense that the same is true with cool air... although slower. But the best areas to gain ... or loose heat; are the arm pits, neck, and groin. and of course the head.

The idea of just stripping your arm and exposing them makes sense, and is quite practical... Kinda like just taking off a hat.
    How many time have you heard.......? "nice hammock what about when there are no trees?"

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I used the Stanley 24oz bottle this past weekend. I made a quick coozie from some leftover windshield reflector. Friday night low was around 28deg. Bottle was too hot and cooled off too quickly. Sat night low was 35, I stuffed the bottle and coozie inside of a down booty. Much better heat release and lasted almost all night. No leaking issues either night.
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

Not to worry about "nasties"

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I carried/carry a small fleece stuff sack for my fuel canister that I usually use for the Nalgene bottle. It doesn't completely cover the bottle, but the drawstring holds well enough for the job. No bag back-up for leaks, but that's not a bad idea.

Word of caution; depending on which study you believe, the 'boiling' water may leach out little nasties from the Nalgene. Best bet is probably to dump the water in the morning and not drink it, no need to carry an 'extra'.
    http://www.plasticsinfo.org/s_plasti...D=705&DID=2839

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Can you say Prostrate issues?

This is one serious limitation I see to the BMBH hammock versus top/side loading hammocks, at least for us guys. The only hammock I have that has "issues" with late night calls is my Hennessy. All the others make late night 'watering' very easy; just roll and aim.

Still, I don't think you'll 'go' anymore than normal when you start with a source of warm down there.
    ====> LOL! Yep .... My Hennessy causes me to keep an empty 32 oz Gatorade bottle in the hammock ...although I have filled that sever times, and still had to go! My prostate was removed years ago, and the time between "Gotta go!" and "Too late" is very, very short these days!

Of course, we COULD all use a "Bladder Buddy" - a trick long-distance drivers use. A "condom catheter" leading either to a collection bag to be emptied later. I am sure there are some unique techniques for all this that people have developed!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    My husband and I have been backpacking in the winter for years..(20 with the US Army) and the nalgene bottle is indespensible to our philosophy. Screw that lid on tight, cover it with a wool sock and stick it against a femural artery. Carotid artery works in the summer to cool a cooked head and the femural warms up the core. On the plus side..you have tepid water in the morning that has not frozen solid for breakfast.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    ====> Of course, we COULD all use a "Bladder Buddy" - a trick long-distance drivers use. A "condom catheter" leading either to a collection bag to be emptied later. I am sure there are some unique techniques for all this that people have developed!

OMG! Too much information for this poor redleg to take. Any advice for us females?? (Yeah, get out of the #%# hammock!)
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

Images

re

I've got a Zippo hand warmer that catalyzes liter fluid to generate heat. Its extra weight, but I suspect the size, shape and heat output will make it ideal for this purpose. Going to have to give it a try in the yard and see how it does.

Along the reverse lines, what if in the summer you tied on one of those water absorbing neck wrap things around your legs (loosely) at the same area?
    Last edited by Gqgeek81; 12-05-2010 at 21:44. Reason: Also...

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Along the reverse lines, what if in the summer you tied on one of those water absorbing neck wrap things around your legs (loosely) at the same area?
    I suspect it would be more efficient to wrap it around your neck. Those cool you by water evaporation. You would have more air circulation around your neck/carotid artery than between your thighs. I would also think keeping it in place would be easier and more comfortable. I don't think I'd ever do it. The idea of sleeping wet doesn't appeal to me. Plus here in Michigan it is a rare night to be that warm at night, especially in a hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 21 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast