Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I guess a rule of thumb might be that as long as it still feels warm, rather than just "not cold," it's worth keeping in there.
    I'm not sure about that. Your body is already producing energy to heat your core and extremities, and that heat is simply soaked up by the bottle. As long as the bottle isn't so cold that it causes your limbs to chill from contact, the flux in temp of a liquid filled bottle should be very low. Especially when inside the same insulation you are.

It would almost stand to reason that the more heated mass you have inside your insulation with you, the more stable the temp ought to be. Getting that mass warmed in the first place is where the energy is used.

Just a thought.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    But maintaining that heat also requires energy. Your core temp is higher than your skin's surface temp...so there's a time where the liquid will be warmer than your surface temp and your skin can absorb that energy. Basically, what you're talking about - you've already spent the energy to heat it, so soak it back up. (Is that a bad choice of words, given the topic?)

But the tendency will be for the bottle to cool down, and your body has to counteract that.

I almost always sleep with my water inside the quilt with me except in summer. I don't like drinking cold water so I'd rather spend my energy keeping it warm for morning...and I haven't woken up hypothermic from sleeping with my water or anything so I'm not sure this will all make a huge difference.

I just know that pee bottles feel warm, so it makes sense to keep them in there for a while! But at some point I think there will be a diminishing return until it's sucking a little bit of heat.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Asym Deluxe
    Tarp
    Guide Gear® Tarp
    Insulation
    HH system
    Suspension
    trucker's hitch

Water Bottle

Northern Tier the national boy scout base in Ely, MN has used this method for many years. They have each scout wear a 2 cup Nalgene round there neck in a nylon cover and strap. Since keeping hydrated is important the standard question is how many Nalgenes have you had today, show me your bottle. At night the bottle is filled with boiling water placed in the carrier with a fruit bar. Instructions are if you feel cold wake up take a bit of the bar and a sip of water this will get your metabolism going to help you sleep. The warmth of the bottle helps until the body heat warms up the cold bag. Use a Nalegne nothing less. I used a flask one year in a snow cave got up to water the snow and when I got back in I stepped on the bottle. A couple of hours later I could not sleep and didn't figure it out till morning that the bottle cap was off and the bottle empty. It was -25F and I using a down bag. Never a problem with the Nalegene.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I use the water bottle method as well to count how much water folks consume when I take them on canoe trips. It is so easy, especially in the heat of summer to get dehydrated. Often people do not drink enough and get headaches and grumpy. I am sold on the hot water bottle in nalgene. I did this hanging here at home about a month ago when it got down to 11 degrees and I was toasty warm and slept really hard. Crawled into a warm bag and stuck the bottle between my legs. Felt good and I am sure contributed to a wonderful nights sleep.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    My experience with going to bed is often my feet are already cold. Add to that I'm still building up the heat in the bag. When I use the piss bottle I can put it down with my feet and they warm up. As for keeping it all night and maintaining the heat? Probably could get a couple of the rocket scientists to make a better bet on that. But I know it works for me.

It also means I don't have to get out of bed in the night and lose what heat I have stored up.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    It also means I don't have to get out of bed in the night and lose what heat I have stored up.
    And that's huge...depending on the temps that might save more energy than what your body would expend keeping it warm.

You could also set the pee bottle outside the hammock when it cools off...if you're not in an HH you can just pull it back inside when needed.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    And that's huge...depending on the temps that might save more energy than what your body would expend keeping it warm.

You could also set the pee bottle outside the hammock when it cools off...if you're not in an HH you can just pull it back inside when needed.
    I started doing this on my winter Thru(-). Temps were down in the single digits and my hammock was an open top homemade deal.

Also, as nasty as it may sound to some, when you need to go again later, you can pour the old out by reaching your arm out and dumping away out the side of your hammock and away from under your tarp. Then re-charge the bottle. Some nights I have been known to fill the bottle up right before bed to help warm those extremities, then give a second charge during the night. It's more easy to do this when you Caballero Camp.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Also, as nasty as it may sound to some, when you need to go again later, you can pour the old out by reaching your arm out and dumping away out the side of your hammock and away from under your tarp. Then re-charge the bottle. Some nights I have been known to fill the bottle up right before bed to help warm those extremities, then give a second charge during the night. It's more easy to do this when you Caballero Camp.
    Doesn't sound nasty to me...sounds practical!

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Doesn't sound nasty to me...sounds practical!
    Me either. But some folks get squeamish.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    This has become a piss poor topic...or is that piss pour?

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 86 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast