Hammock
    Castaway Double
    Tarp
    Campmor silnylon
    Insulation
    Peapod and pads
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLING!!!!!
    Thats funny! My preferred method is to turn on my headlamp and see that the bottle is ready. Next, turn on your side, place the bladder extender release nozzle into the bottle and get over the fear of peeing in your sleeping bag. Just do it. Once finished, reverse the preparatory process until you are asleep.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    undecided
    Insulation
    JRB snivellers
    Bladder extender release nozzle??? Oh yah, just above the internal disruption relief port!! So.... an in the bag side shot! My loving wife (nurse) has now explained to me the hospital proceedure for a patient lying on his back. REALLY???? I guess I'll try it..... would it help to have few beers 1st??

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by A J View Post
    would it help to have few beers 1st??
    You would most likely be assured more practice, but at a possible loss in accuracy.
    Visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    dd frontline
    Tarp
    fox tarp
    Insulation
    thermarest prolite
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by A J View Post
    stay in the hammock to pee .......or get out n' pee... In a HH you could pop your feet out and simply sit there and fill the bottle. In a top loader.... not so easy...(I assume) Lay on your side???? Flip to your stomach and up on your knees???? Give me the mechanics of it. Curious minds want to know. I've noticed enough people mentioning peeing with out "getting out" to know it is not an uncommon thing to do....... but I can't imagine..... help me join the club..... exactly how do you do it!!???
    You can do it laying flat on your back if you want. The key is to hold the (wide mouth) bottle at an angle, but reasonably upright of course. A little bit of laying on your side makes it easier. And make sure you have a steady hand in case someone gives you a little nudge I recently heard a story about some guys doing that to a friend haha, he was not amused of course
    Be sure to keep the bottle upright when closing it, make sure it is closed and check the levelmof yellow water in case you need to do it again later. In that case youll know how much is left. And believe me, you will also feel it if the bottle fills up too much, yeah I know, gross... But that is reality
    As stated, nalgenes make great pee bottles
    Good luck

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    undecided
    Insulation
    JRB snivellers
    Thank you ZYHANO !! That's what I wanted to hear.... just the simple mechanics of it. .....and as time passes it all sounds more "normal" (?). Actually, what a great asset to be comfortable (and practiced) at doing this. Might save me as many as 5 out of the hammock excursions in a single night. Might even rank up there with good fire skills.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    StormcrowIncubator
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I carried/carry a small fleece stuff sack for my fuel canister that I usually use for the Nalgene bottle. It doesn't completely cover the bottle, but the drawstring holds well enough for the job. No bag back-up for leaks, but that's not a bad idea.

Word of caution; depending on which study you believe, the 'boiling' water may leach out little nasties from the Nalgene. Best bet is probably to dump the water in the morning and not drink it, no need to carry an 'extra'.
    I'm not sure that this still applies to the new Nalgene bottles. IIRC, boiling water used to pull the BPA in the plastic out and BPA can cause cancer in humans but the newer Nalgene bottles no longer use BPA in their construction. Feel free to correct me if anyone has information to the contrary. As far as cheap gatorade and other bottles that drinks come in: those definitely have BPA in them and putting hot water in them is probably not the best idea.

I've never actually brought the water to the boil either for fear of it burning me while I sleep or damaging my bottle to to excess heat, plus it saves time and fuel.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Slanket View Post
    I'm not sure that this still applies to the new Nalgene bottles. IIRC, boiling water used to pull the BPA in the plastic out and BPA can cause cancer in humans but the newer Nalgene bottles no longer use BPA in their construction. Feel free to correct me if anyone has information to the contrary. As far as cheap gatorade and other bottles that drinks come in: those definitely have BPA in them and putting hot water in them is probably not the best idea.
    The newer Nalgene's don't have BPA and as far as they know it's safe, that is until they find the next new thing that is bad for you.

Try putting hot water in a gator aid bottle, it doesn't even have to be boiling to get interesting results.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Just a friendly reminder to be sure to use a Nalgene for boiling water and not a generic brand.

See results here:
    The amazing shrinking water bottle...
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hot Water

I too have used this method for quite sometime now. I'll place it on the Femoral Artery or if I need to move it around a bit (mainly because I get too hot) I can send it down by my feet for a while and open my bag to regulate temp as needed.
    I've never put it into a bag or anything.....what I have done is inspected it each night just before I go to hang. Also, in my pre-planning....if I have a bottle that's a couple years old...I replace it. As of late I've been using an aluminum bottle so I don't worry so much about breakage and fine cracks. I just keep an eye on the cap and seal.

Hammock
    Life adventure sleeplight MOD
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    DIY primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slingin'
    wow so many posts on such a great topic whether it be peeing from the hammock or the hot water bottle trick

I have been teaching this method for years now, it was taught to me by a few Canadian soldiers whilst out on excersise.
    I use my old Issue Army 58 pattern water bottle and fill it 3/4 of the way with nearly at the boil water (you know the point when your pot starts making a tapping sound as the bubbles start to form) I stick this in my tent booties inside my sleeping bag about 10 mins before i get in, once im in i take it out and put my booties on then slip it between my feet. During the night it slips down and makes its way to my knees which gets cold quite quick from underneath.

What this is great for is:
    • Warm water boils quicker in the morning
    • Warm water to wash with
    • If you do get out of bed in the middle of the night its still warm(normally)to warm you back up.

My method to pee out of my hammock is to move all my sleeping bag out of the way and pull the side of my hammock down, hook the opposite foot round the other side of the hammock and pee away!!!
      You may need to have some balance for this as you are on your side tipping over hahahaha but it works
    I love elevation!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 25 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast