Page 9 of 86 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Do you empty the pot afterwards??
    no - its there for the next person in the group to use - in the morning it may mean warming the pot up a little to get the ice out however assuming one is packing up in the morning

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunHiker View Post
    Of those that posted that their Platys leaked, what type were they?

(A side note: It's snowing in Covington!)
    I can't find mine right now, but it was one of the smaller ones. I think it had a drinking tube on it.
    Of course the tube could have been part of the problem. I've seen more than one type leak were the tube comes out of the bag.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    My friends Wal-Mart bag leaks all the time, but my new 2L evernew from Antigravity gear has not leaked yet.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    If you would put about 25% vodka or Scotch in the water bottle then it wouldn't freeze either. Hum......
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    When I have been cold, that's when I have to get up to pee a lot. My coldest night ever was a night where I also had to get up and pee 3 or 4 times. And I was only about 35 yrs. old then. Don't know if it was coincidence or being cold and having to go are physiologically related.
    I just found this in my gallery. Here is the morning after, June 27, 1985, the morning after the "night of much peeing"! No, we don't have large breasts, we are drying wet insulation! That's me, a much younger man, on the right, after nearly a month deep in the wilds. I still have that balaclaca, one of my favorites. The second picture is of me getting into camp near sundown, after hiking all day in this storm. Little did I know how long that night was going to be, and how much I would be up peeing!

I use a 16oz naglene and put both my socks over it to dry them out for the next day and insulate it. It doesn't stay as warm as a 32oz would, but it helps a lot, and my socks fit over it. And in the morning, I know for sure I will have some unfrozen water.

Also, the need to urinate in the cold is one of the body's first reactions to being cold and an attempt to fend off mild hypothermia.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiden View Post
    I use a 16oz naglene and put both my socks over it to dry them out for the next day and insulate it. It doesn't stay as warm as a 32oz would, but it helps a lot, and my socks fit over it. And in the morning, I know for sure I will have some unfrozen water.

Also, the need to urinate in the cold is one of the body's first reactions to being cold and an attempt to fend off mild hypothermia
    or in my case it shows a failure in limiting the amount of hot chocolate I drank before bed

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    All three of us who camped out last night at 5 degrees used hot water bottles. Yeah!!
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images

H2o

let me throw a wrench into this. it is a fact that hot water freezes quicker because the molecules are farther apart and in a better position to create ice. (water is the only substance that expands when frozen). the hot water pipe in the crawl space freezes first
    has anyone found this a problem on the trails?

"The fact that hot water freezes faster than cold has been known for many centuries. The earliest reference to this phenomenon dates back to Aristotle in 300 B.C. The phenomenon was later discussed in the medieval era, as European physicists struggled to come up with a theory of heat. But by the 20th century the phenomenon was only known as common folklore, until it was reintroduced to the scientific community in 1969 by Mpemba, a Tanzanian high school student. Since then, numerous experiments have confirmed the existence of the "Mpemba effect", but have not settled on any single explanation."
    http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...hot_water.html

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Since the hot water bottles are kept inside a sleeping bag or quilt with you, there is very little chance that the water in the bottle would freeze. You would more than likely be dead first. My bottle stayed warm all night long, and was slightly above body temperature by morning.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 86 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast